Using Public Transit in Birmingham is easy with Whim. See the following for more information.
Can I use Whim for public transport?
Yes. With an in-app mobile ticket, you have access to any National Express West Midlands bus service anywhere in the region and the West Midlands Metro tram services along the entire route between Birmingham and Wolverhampton.
With the Whim Swift card (Whim Everyday) you have access to buses, trams and trains in West Midlands. Read more about Whim Swift card here.
Whim may be used for NX West Midlands public transport either via the Whim journey planner or the Whim button.
The app will automatically suggest the correct ticket based on your location.
Currently available are the following tickets:
- Daysaver Bus - peak time,
- Daysaver Bus - off-peak, and
- Daysaver Bus & Metro
How do I use Whim for public transport?
- The Whim app recognizes your location when you are buying a ticket and suggests ticket options for you.
- You can buy tickets with Whim using the Journey planner or through the Whim button. (When you buy a ticket through the Journey planner, your ticket will be activated 5-10 minutes before your vehicle is scheduled to leave. When you buy a ticket through the Whim menu, it will be activated immediately.)
- You can find all your active tickets and check their validity through the 'Tickets' menu.
- You can switch vehicles freely while the ticket is valid and you’re traveling inside the ticket’s region.
- When traveling by bus, you need to show your ticket to the bus driver when entering the vehicle.
- When traveling by Midland Metro trams, you need to show the ticket from your phone, when you meet a conductor/ticket inspector.
- The ticket is valid in the National Express West Midlands buses, trams and trains.
What do I need to show the ticket inspector?
The ticket, which you can access in the ticket view, should be showed to the inspector.
When the ticket is activated, it will display a running clock and the date on which the ticket is valid.
By clicking on the (I), bottom right of the screen, you can display a ticket barcode if necessary, along with the length of ticket validity.
Here are examples of what this looks like: