City bikes are shared-use bicycles that can be borrowed for a fee in Helsinki and Espoo.
In Helsinki, there are 150 bike stations (within an area extending from the heart of the city to Munkkiniemi, Pasila and Kumpula.)
- The season starts in Helsinki in April, exact dates depending on the weather.
- First stations usually open at the beginning of April.
In Espoo, there are 105 bike stations (close to the West Metro stations and Leppävaara station.)
- The season starts in Espoo in two phases.
- First stations will be opened in May and the rest in June.
Altogether there will be 2,550 bikes available for use.
You can take journeys of up to 30 minutes without additional charge any time during the season:
- If you want to use a bike for a longer time (than 30 minutes per ride), it is possible for an additional charge: see additional charges https://www.hsl.fi/en/citybikes.
These charges will be charged from your payment card in-app.
- You can use a bike for up to five hours at a time. If you exceed 5 hours, you wil be charged 80 euros.
City Bikes with Whim Plans
Whim to Go
Not available for Whim to Go users.
Unlimited amount of 30 minutes of bike use per time is included in the monthly plan. 1€ extra every 30 minutes that go past the free use unless bike is returned. (5 hours is the maximum amount of time one bike can be used at a time, if this is exceeded an 80€ charge will be made for the delay)(If the bike is not returned at all a charge of 400€ will be made)
Unlimited use of bike up to 5 hours per time is included in the monthly plan. (If you exceed the 5 hours, you will be charged 80 euros for the delay)(If the bike is not returned at all a charge of 400€ will be made)
How to use
Your personal cyclist ID and a PIN code for collecting the bike will be available via the Whim app.
- You can take a bike from any bike station where there are bikes available.
- You can see the locations of the bike stations and available bikes from the Whim app.
- To start using the bike, enter your cyclist ID and PIN code to the bike and jump on the saddle.
- You can return the bike to any bike station. Please make sure that you get a confirmation that the bike was successfully returned and locked to the rack and you are no longer responsible for the bike.
- If you need to park the bike for a short stop (going to a shop, etc.) you can lock/secure the bike somewhere else other than at a bike station for a brief time.
- For detailed instructions read more here: https://www.hsl.fi/en/citybikes