In this article we explain how to use public transport in Flanders and how to buy De Lijn, single M-tickets through Whim:
Ticket pricing and validity
With Whim, you can access public transport in Antwerp and the Flanders region. The ticket pricing is as follows:
- For Pay as You Go users, De Lijn m-tickets cost 1,80€ per single ticket. The ticket is valid for one hour.
- For Whim Everyday users, an unlimited number of m-tickets are included in the monthly plan.
The area has only one zone, therefore, all the tickets cover the whole area: Bus (Antwerpen province and Flanders region); Tram and metro (only in Antwerp).
With the M-ticket, you can travel on all buses and trams* for one hour.
(*except on Limburg express lines.)
Using public transport with Whim
1. The Whim app recognizes your location when you are buying a ticket and suggests the best ticket option for you.
2. You can buy and activate De Lijn M-tickets with Whim using the Journey planner(Fig.1) or with the Whim button.
a. When you buy a ticket through the Journey planner, your ticket will be activated 5-10 minutes before your vehicle is scheduled to leave.
b. When you buy a ticket through the Whim button, it will be activated immediately.
FIGURE 1: Journey planner map view
3. Proceed to purchase your ticket by tapping Purchase Fare button, when buying through the Journey Planner (Fig. 2) or selecting the correct ticket and confirming purchase after selecting Public Transport through the Whim Wheel (Fig. 3).
(Fig. 2) Journey planner map view
(Fig. 3) Ticket selection view after tapping PT button, through the Whim Button.
4. After your ticket has been purchased, it will be issued and it will appear in your Tickets view (Fig.4). You can find all your active tickets and check their validity through this view.
(Fig. 4) Tickets view
5. You can switch Public Transport modes freely while the ticket is valid and you are traveling inside the ticket’s region.
6. When traveling by bus, you show the ticket to the driver by tapping on the ticket (Fig. 5). When traveling by tram or metro, you don’t need to show the ticket unless required by a ticket inspector.
(Fig. 5) Activated ticket
Questions and Answers
- Is GPS required while using public transport in Whim?
- Do I have to activate the public transport tickets each time before boarding a vehicle?
- What do I do if my phone runs out of battery?
- I accidentally bought the wrong single/day ticket. Can I get my money back?
Is GPS required while using public transport in Whim?
Yes. GPS should always be enabled whenever using the Whim app. Without it, the service may be impaired.
Do I have to activate the public transport tickets each time before boarding a vehicle?
You must make sure the single tickets are activated and valid before boarding a vehicle. Please note that failure to produce a valid ticket may result in a fine.
What do I do if my phone runs out of battery?
Please ensure your device has ample power for the duration of your entire trip. Failure to produce a valid ticket may result in a fine.
I accidentally bought the wrong single/day ticket. Can I get my money back?
Unfortunately, incorrectly purchased single tickets are non-refundable.