City bikes are shared-use bicycles that can be borrowed for a fee in Helsinki and Espoo.
In Helsinki, there are currently 150 bike stations (within an area extending from the heart of the city to Munkkiniemi, Pasila and Kumpula.)
- The season starts in Helsinki in April, exact dates depending on the weather.
- First stations usually open at the beginning of April.
In Espoo, there will be all together 105 bike stations in operation by summer 2018 (close to the West Metro stations and Leppävaara station.)
- The season starts in Espoo in two phases.
- First 75 stations opened in May and 35 more stations will open later in summer.
Altogether there will be 2,550 bikes available for use.
You can take journeys of up to 30 minutes without additional charge any time during the season:
- If you want to use a bike for a longer time (than 30 minutes per ride), it is possible for an additional charge: see additional charges https://www.hsl.fi/en/citybikes.
- These charges will be charged from your payment card in-app.
- You can use a bike for up to five hours at a time. If you exceed 5 hours, you will be charged 80 euros.
- If the City bike is not returned within 24 hours, it is automatically considered as lost, therefore, a charge of 400e will be charged as compensation.
- In the case of the bike being stolen whilst still under your responsibility or you having an accident whilst using the City Bike, please contact the customer service immediately.
- As of 2018, you can ride the bikes in Helsinki and Espoo and also ride from one city to the other, if you wish.
City Bikes with Whim Plans
Whim to Go
City Bike services are not available for Whim to Go users.
Unlimited amount of 30 minutes of bike use per time is included in the monthly plan. 1€ extra every 30 minutes that go past the free use unless bike is returned. (5 hours is the maximum amount of time one bike can be used at a time, if this is exceeded, an 80€ charge will be made for the delay. If the bike is not returned at all a charge of 400€ will be made)
Unlimited use of bike up to 5 hours per time is included in the monthly plan. (If you exceed the 5 hours, you will be charged 80 euros for the delay)(If the bike is not returned at all a charge of 400€ will be made)
How to use
Your personal cyclist ID and a PIN code for collecting the bike will be available via the Whim app (Please notice: After pin-codes are generated, they are valid for 30 days straight and this means that you can use this same pin-code every day. The bike ticket will therefore expire only after 30 days. The first 30 minutes of each bike ride are free, as explined above and after this they will cost 1€/30min until 5 hours are full. If the bike is not returned within the 5 hours, there will be a fine of 80€.)
- You can take a bike from any bike station where there are bikes available.
- You can see the locations of the bike stations and available bikes from the Whim app.
- To start using the bike, enter your cyclist ID and PIN code to the bike and jump on the saddle.
- You can return the bike to any bike station. Please make sure that you get a confirmation on the bikes display that the bike was successfully returned and locked to the rack and you are no longer responsible for the bike.
- If you need to park the bike for a short stop (going to a shop, etc.) you can lock/secure the bike somewhere else other than at a bike station for a brief time.
- Please do not use a HSL travel card with the bike, for this will revoke your pin code and you will no longer be able to use the bike through the application. (In the case this happens, please contact us via the application and provide us with the pin code and user id, so we can create a new pin code during office hours).
For detailed instructions read more here: https://www.hsl.fi/en/citybikes