Using public transportation in Birmingham is easy with Whim. In this article we explain the following:
- Public transportation with Whim in Birmingham and the West Midlands
- Buying a ticket through Whim
- Questions and Answers
Public transportation with Whim in Birmingham and the West Midlands
With our in-app Daysaver mobile tickets you can access National Express West Midlands bus services anywhere in Birmingham and the West Midlands and the West Midlands Metro anywhere along the entire route between Birmingham and Wolverhampton.
You can buy suitable Bus or Bus & Metro tickets either via the Whim journey planner or the Whim button. The app will automatically suggest the correct ticket based on your location and time of day (peak vs. off-peak).
You can currently purchase the following tickets via Whim:
- Adult Daysaver Bus - peak time - £4.50
- Adult Daysaver Bus - off-peak - £3.90
- Adult Daysaver Bus & Metro - £6.60
Daysaver tickets are valid all day on the day of activation and until 3am the next morning.
Buying a ticket through Whim
The Whim app recognises your location when you are buying a ticket and suggests suitable ticket options for you based on your location.
You can buy tickets with Whim using the Journey planner or through the Whim button. (When you buy a ticket through the Journey planner, your ticket will be activated 5-10 minutes before your vehicle is scheduled to leave. When you buy a ticket through the Whim button, it will be activated immediately.)
Buying a ticket through Whim button:
- Select the Whim button (large W at the bottom of the Whim app screen) (Fig. 1).
(Fig. 1) Whim app Home view.
- Select Public Transport from the options that pop up (Fig. 2).
(Fig. 2) Select mode of transport view.
- Select the type of ticket you wish to buy (Fig. 3).
(Fig. 3) Select ticket view.
- Check that you are purchasing the right ticket and confirm purchase (Fig. 4).
(Fig. 4) Confirm ticket purchase view.
- After your ticket purchase, your ticket will be issued (Fig. 5) to you and can be found in the Whim app ticket view (Fig. 6).
(Fig. 5) Ticket being issued. (Fig. 6) Daysaver ticket in the app’s ticket view.
- You can find all your active tickets and check their validity through the 'Tickets' view (Fig 6.). You can switch vehicles freely while the ticket is valid and you’re traveling inside the ticket’s region.
- When traveling by bus, you need to open your ticket and show your ticket (Fig. 7 and 8) to the bus driver when entering the vehicle. If required, you can access the tickets QR code (Fig. 8) by tapping it at the bottom right-hand corner of the ticket (Fig. 7). If you are travelling by the West Midlands Metro trams, you need to show the ticket from your phone when you meet a conductor/ticket inspector.
(Fig. 7) Daysaver ticket. (Fig. 8) Daysaver ticket QR code.
Questions and Answers:
- What do I need to show the ticket inspector?
- How long is my Daysaver ticket valid for?
- Is GPS required while using public transport with Whim?
- What if my phone battery runs out?
What do I need to show the ticket inspector?
The ticket, which you can access in the ticket view, should be shown to the inspector.
When the ticket is activated, it will display a running digital clock and the date on which the ticket is valid.
By clicking on the (I), bottom right of the screen, you can display a ticket QR code if necessary, along with the length of ticket validity.
Here are examples of what this looks like:
How long is my Daysaver ticket valid for?
Daysaver tickets are valid all day on the day of activation and until 3am the next morning. You may therefore travel all day with one ticket!
Is GPS required while using public transport with Whim?
Yes, GPS should always be enabled whenever using the Whim app. Without it, the service may be impaired.
What if my phone battery runs out?
You must always ensure that you have enough battery on your device for the duration of your journey. You will not be able to travel without a valid ticket and risk getting a fine if your battery runs out during your journey.