With Whim, you can now purchase tickets from Belgium’s rail services provider Belgian National Rail Service/ Nationale Maatschappij der Belgische Spoorwegen. In this article, you can find the following:
Buying NMBS tickets through Whim
- Type in your destination to the Journey planner (you can also edit your location address after entering the destination)
- Whim shows you different connections and the prices (you can see more details by tapping the options)
- Choose the connection you want
- Whim offers you a second class single ticket as a default, if you wish to buy another kind of ticket, you can choose that by clicking the ticket type.
- If you haven’t yet added your date of birth to your profile, you need to type that in as that is needed for buying the ticket. You only need to do this when buying the ticket for the first time as the information will be updated to your Whim profile)
- Confirm purchase, the price will be charged from the payment card you have linked to your Whim account
- You can find all your active tickets from the ticket view in the app. Open up the ticket and show the QR code to the train conductor when asked and they will scan the code to verify the validity of the ticket.
Questions and Answers
- What NMBS tickets can I purchase via Whim?
- Where is my ticket valid?
- What do I need to show the ticket inspector?
- What do I do if my train is cancelled?
- What if my battery runs out?
- What are the possible Penalty Fees?
- Can I cancel my ticket?
What NMBS tickets can I purchase via Whim?
You can purchase the following tickets through Whim:
- Single one-way tickets (1st and 2nd class)
- Weekend tickets (1st and 2nd class), Senior tickets (1st and 2nd class) and Go pass 1 tickets (2nd class) Coming in the future!
Where is my ticket valid?
With your ticket, you can travel anywhere in Belgium.
Type of trains/lines available via Whim:
- Train tickets to all NMBS operated trains for internal traveling in Belgium.
Please note that HST High-Speed Trains (Thalys, Eurostar, ICE and TGV) / international trains to BE, DE, NL, FR, UK are not included in Whim yet.
What do I need to show the ticket inspector?
You need to show the mobile ticket with the QR-code to the conductor/ticket inspector when requested.
If you travel with a special ticket (for example with a discount), you must always be able to identify yourself (with a valid form of ID) and prove that you have the right to use this ticket.
What do I do if my train is cancelled?
You may contact NMBS to request for a refund, you can send a request by filling up the reimbursement form here the form is in French in the case you wish to request for reimbursement another way please fill in this PDF form and either go to the ticket counter where you can hand this in free of charge or with sufficient postage via the Post.
Address Customer Service Department:
NMBS/SNCB Marketing & Sales
Avenue de la Porte de Hal 40
What if my battery runs out?
You are responsible for ensuring that you have a valid ticket throughout the whole journey and for ensuring that you have sufficiently charged and properly working smartphone. Failure to present a valid ticket may result in a fine.
What are the possible Penalty Fees?
The following are additional fees that may be applied on top of the ticket price:
- If for some reason your ticket is not valid or legible, or if you do not comply with the conditions of use, you will be asked to buy a ticket on the train at the On-board Fare (normal ticket price + € 7) and you can continue your journey as planned.
- If you fail to buy a ticket at the On-board Fare for whichever reason, the train conductor will be required to issue a Penalty Fare Notice (€ 75). You are entitled to contact NMBS Customer Services if you can justify travelling without a valid train ticket or being unable to buy a ticket at the On-board Fare. More information here.
Can I cancel my ticket?
If you buy a ticket for example for the next day and your plans change, you can cancel it and the price of the ticket will be refunded to your payment card. Please note that the cancellation needs to be done on the previous day before 00:00 as the ticket will be activated at 00.01 on the day of the planned journey. Unfortunately, it is not possible to cancel tickets after they have been activated.