With Whim you can now use shared TIER electric charged scooters in Vienna. This article explains the following:
- Using TIER Scooters in Vienna
- Rider Requirements
- Pricing for Whim Users
- Possible extra fees
- Questions and Answers
Using TIER Scooters in Vienna
Tier scooters are available every day from 00:00 to 24:00. To be able to use the Tier scooter;
- Tap the Whim button in the app and choose Scooters.
- You can see available Tier scooters and their locations in the Whim app.
- Before unlocking the scooter take a look at the instructions for a safe ride shown in the app.
- You can either:
- Unlock the scooter by tapping "Scan QR Code".
- Point your camera at the QR code on the scooter's handlebar to unlock it.
- You can also type in the scooter ID to unlock the scooter.
- If you have trouble scanning/reading the QR code, you can use the in-app flashlight function.
- Unlock the scooter by tapping "Scan QR Code".
(Pic 1.) Scan QR Code
Another way would be to:
- Unlock the scooter by selecting a scooter on the map and tapping "unlock scooter".
- This function lets you unlock the scooter from up to 400m away.
- our ride will start immediately after tapping "unlock scooter".
- If you are more than 400 m away from the scooter, a window, saying that you should move closer to the scooter, will pop up on your screen.
- Whim shows you the location of the scooter on the map, but if you can’t find it, you can choose the “bell” function from the app. The scooter will make a ringing/beeping sound so it is easier for you to locate it.
5. After unlocking/scanning the QR code Whim asks you to confirm the booking.
- Once your scooter is unlocked, its lights and the display turn on.
- Start rolling!
- To start moving, first, place one foot on the board and then use your other foot to push the scooter forward (2-3 times) in order to pick up speed.
- Once rolling, put both feet on the footboard and press the acceleration lever on the right side of the handlebar. This will start the electric motor.
(Pic.2) Start riding button
During the ride
- By pressing the right lever, you can accelerate and control the speed of your scooter.
- To slow down your scooter, you can either use the hand brake on the left side of the handlebar (see pic), or by pressing the foot brake in the back of the scooter.
- The latest models of TIER scooters have the hand brake whereas the older models have the foot brake.
(Pic.3) Hand brake
- Do not exceed the local speed regulations of 18-25 km/h.
- Pay attention to traffic and respect local traffic laws.
- A little speedometer on the handlebar shows you the battery condition of the scooter as well as the speed.
- In Whim, you can see the duration of your current ride as well as the price. You can also see the scooter ID and the battery level.
- You can ride your scooter as far and long as you want to (also outside the business area) – as long as you end your ride within the permitted TIER area (green area on the map).
Ending your ride
- Make sure you are inside the business area, this is the green area on the map.
- Check that you are not standing in a “No Parking Area”. These are the red areas on the map.
- Once you’ve found a suitable parking spot for your scooter (public and accessible to everyone), open Whim and tap “End ride”.
- The parking spot doesn’t block public paths, driveways or building entrances.
- Whim shows you the details of your ride.
How to report a problem with your scooter
- If you have any problems with the scooter, please contact Tier
- Phone: +43 720 817110 in Austria. Hotline available from 8 AM to 8 PM.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or contact Whim customer care via in-app Help Center.
Pricing for Whim users
To use a TIER scooter there is an activation fee as well as a minute price for each minute used. Current prices can be found here under “How much does it cost?” https://www.tier.app/help/
- For driving without a confirmed or valid rental contract or for transferring the access data to another user: €250,-.
- For loss or all repair fees incurred due to the fault of the user: arising expenses depending on the amount billed.
- For additional costs incurred due to the fault of the user (e.g. Towing / picking up the vehicle etc.): arising expenses depending on the amount billed.
- For parking a scooter at not publicly accessible locations: € 50,-.
- For moving an illegally parked scooter: € 25,- (excl. VAT).
- For picking up an eScooter outside the business area: € 25,- (excl. VAT).
In order to be able to use TIER scooters, you must fulfill the following rider requirements:
- You need to be 18 years or older
- You need to have a TIER user account
- For your own safety, we recommend to always wear a helmet when riding a TIER. Depending on your local traffic laws, helmets might be mandatory.
- In some countries, a driver’s license is mandatory. However, we will always check for you and guide you through the necessary steps when a country requires a driver’s license for using TIER.
- You are also required to have experience or minimum skills with driving VMPs (vehicle for personal mobility) and to be familiar with the operation and the safe handling of VMPs.
- Have to have a minimum of knowledge of driving and the local traffic regulations.
- Have accepted General Terms that include the Special Terms and appendices.
- See 11.7 of https://www.tier.app/terms-conditions/ for more info.
Questions and Answers
- Do I need to have a driver’s license to use a TIER scooter?
- Is there an age limit to use a TIER scooter?
- Does TIER provide insurance for using a scooter?
- Can I rent a TIER scooter for my friend?
- Do I need to wear a helmet when using a TIER scooter?
- Can I ride a TIER scooter on a walkway?
- Is there a time limit for using a TIER scooter?
- Where can I park a TIER scooter?
- What happens in case I damage a TIER scooter?
Do I need to have a driver’s license to use a TIER scooter?
In Vienna, you do not need to have a driver’s license in order to drive a TIER scooter. However, you are required to have minimum driving skills and knowledge of local traffic rules and regulations.
Is there an age limit to use a TIER scooter?
Yes, you need to be 18 years old in order to drive a TIER scooter in Vienna.
Does TIER provide insurance for using a scooter?
Yes, TIER provides legal liability insurance for the user.
Can I rent a TIER scooter for my friend?
Unfortunately, renting a TIER scooter for a friend is not possible at the moment. In order to rent a TIER scooter, you need to use your personal user account. Renting a scooter for someone else with your own account may result in a penalty fee of 250€.
Do I need to wear a helmet when using a TIER scooter?
For your own safety, we highly recommend wearing a helmet while using a TIER scooter.
Can I ride a TIER scooter on a walkway?
Riding a scooter on a walkway is illegal in Austria and therefore is not allowed with TIER scooters either.
Is there a time limit for using a TIER scooter?
You can ride your TIER as far and long as you want to – as long as you end your ride within the permitted TIER area.
Where can I park a TIER scooter?
You can park your scooter in the permitted TIER area, which is shown in the figure below. You are not allowed to park your scooter in the red areas shown in the map and you must ensure the parked scooter will not block any public paths, roads or entrances to buildings.
What happens in case I lose or damage a TIER scooter?
For loss or all repair fees incurred due to the fault of the user: arising expenses depending on the amount billed.