With Whim you can now use shared TIER electric charged scooters in Helsinki. This article explains the following:
- Guide to using TIER e-scooters in Helsinki
- Rider Requirements
- Pricing for Whim Users
- Possible extra fees
- Questions and Answers
Guide to using TIER e-scooters in Helsinki
Picking up a Tier e-scooter
Tier e-scooters are available every day from 00:00 to 24:00. To be able to use the Tier e-scooter:
- Tap the Whim button in the app and choose e-scooters.
- You can see available Tier e-scooters and their locations in the Whim app.
- Before unlocking the e-scooter take a look at the safety instructions shown in the app.
- You can either:
- Unlock the scooter by tapping "Scan QR Code".
- Point your camera at the QR code on the e-scooter's handlebar to unlock it.
- You can also type in the e-scooter ID to unlock the e-scooter.
- If you have trouble scanning/reading the QR code, you can use the in-app flashlight function.
- Unlock the scooter by tapping "Scan QR Code".
(Pic. 1) TIER e-scooter QR Code.
- Or Unlock the e-scooter by selecting an e-scooter on the map and tapping "unlock e-scooter".
- This function lets you unlock the e-scooter from up to 400m away.
- Your ride will start immediately after tapping "unlock e-scooter".
- If you are more than 400 m away from the e-scooter, a window, saying that you should move closer to the e-scooter, will pop up on your screen.
- Whim shows you the location of the e-scooter on the map, but if you can’t find it, you can choose the “bell” function from the app. The e-scooter will make a ringing/beeping sound so it is easier for you to locate it.
- After unlocking/scanning the QR code Whim asks you to confirm the booking.
- Once your e-scooter is unlocked, its lights and the display turn on.
- Start rolling!
- To start moving, first, place one foot on the board and then use your other foot to push the e-scooter forward (2-3 times) in order to pick up speed.
- Once rolling, put both feet on the footboard and press the acceleration lever on the right side of the handlebar. This will start the electric motor.
(Pic.2) TIER e-scooter acceleration lever
During the ride
- By pressing the right lever, you can accelerate and control the speed of your e-scooter.
- To slow down your e-scooter, you can either use the handbrake on the left side of the handlebar (see pic), or by pressing the foot brake in the back of the e-scooter.
- The latest models of TIER e-scooters have the hand brake whereas the older models have the foot brake.
(Pic.3) TIER e-scooter hand brake
- Do not exceed the local speed regulations of 18-25 km/h.
- Pay attention to traffic and respect local traffic laws.
- A little speedometer on the handlebar shows you the battery condition of the scooter as well as the speed.
- In Whim you can see the duration of your current ride as well as the price. You can also see the e-scooter ID and the battery level.
- Find out about reduced speed zones, no parking zones, and outside-operating area by tapping the zones on the map.
- You can ride your scooter within the permitted TIER business zone during the regular operating hours.
Ending your rider
- Make sure you are inside the permitted TIER business zone, this is the white area on the map.
- Check that you are not standing in no parking zones. These are the red areas on the map.
- Once you’ve found a suitable parking spot for your e-scooter (public and accessible to everyone), open Whim and tap “End ride”.
- The parking spot doesn’t block public paths, driveways or building entrances.
- Whim shows you the details of your ride.
How to report a problem with your e-scooter
- If you have any problems with the e-scooter, please contact Tier
- via phone: +358 9 425 50519 (08:00 - 20:00) and have e-scooter ID handy
- via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (include your e-scooter ID in the email)
- or via webform here and have e-scooter ID handy
- Or contact Whim customer care via in-app Help Center.
In order to be able to use TIER e-scooters in Helsinki, you must fulfill the following rider requirements:
- You must be 18 years or older
- You are also required to have experience or minimum skills with driving VMPs (vehicle for personal mobility) and to be familiar with the operation and the safe handling of VMPs.
- Have to have a minimum of knowledge of driving and the local traffic regulations.
- For your own safety we recommend always wearing a helmet when riding a TIER. Depending on your local traffic laws, helmets might be mandatory.
- Have accepted General Terms that include the Special Terms and appendices.
- See section 11.7 of https://www.tier.app/terms-conditions/ for more info.
Pricing for Whim users
Whim to Go, Urban 30, Weekend and Unlimited:
- Starting fee of 1€
- Additional charge of 0,20€ per every minute used
- E.g. for a 5-minute ride the cost would be 1€ + 5 x 0,20€ = 2,00€
Possible extra fees:
- For driving without a confirmed or valid rental contract or for transferring the access data to another user: €250.00
- For loss or all repair fees incurred due to the fault of the user: arising expenses depending on the amount billed
- For additional costs incurred due to the fault of the user (e.g. Towing / picking up the vehicle etc.): arising expenses depending on the amount billed
- For parking an e-scooter at not publicly accessible locations: €50.00
- For moving an illegally parked e-scooter: €50.00
- For picking up an e-scooter outside the business zones: €50.00
Questions and Answers
- Do I need to have a driver’s license to use a TIER e-scooter?
- Is there an age limit to use a TIER e-scooter?
- Does TIER provide insurance for using an e-scooter?
- Can I rent a TIER e-scooter for my friend?
- Do I need to wear a helmet when using a TIER e-scooter?
- Is there a time limit for using a TIER e-scooter?
- Where can I park a TIER e-scooter?
Do I need to have a driver’s license to use a TIER e-scooter?
In Helsinki, you do not need to have a driver’s license in order to drive a TIER e-scooter. However, you are required to have minimum driving skills and knowledge of local traffic rules and regulations.
Is there an age limit to use a TIER e-scooter?
Yes, you need to be 18 years old in order to drive a TIER e-scooter in Helsinki.
Does TIER provide insurance for using an e-scooter?
Yes, TIER provides legal liability insurance for the user.
Can I rent a TIER e-scooter for my friend?
Unfortunately, renting a TIER e-scooter for a friend is not possible at the moment. In order to rent a TIER e-scooter, you need to use your personal user account. Renting an e-scooter for someone else with your own account may result in a penalty fee of 250€.
Do I need to wear a helmet when using a TIER e-scooter?
For your own safety, we highly recommend wearing a helmet while using a TIER e-scooter.
Can I ride a TIER e-scooter on a walkway?
Riding an e-scooter on a walkway is illegal in Finland and therefore is not allowed with TIER e-scooters either.
Is there a time limit for using a TIER e-scooter?
You can ride your TIER as far and long as you want to – as long as you end your ride within the permitted TIER zones.
Where can I park a TIER e-scooter?
You can park your e-scooter in the permitted TIER business zones, which is shown in the app. You are not allowed to park your e-scooter in the red areas shown in the map and you must ensure the parked e-scooter will not block any public paths, roads or entrances to buildings.
(Pic.4) Zone colors and their meaning