Whim Student 30 is a brand new Whim 30-day plan for students*. In this article, you can find more information about the following:
- Whim Student 30 as a Whim Plan
- Pricing of Whim Student 30
- Eligibility Criteria
- Subscribing to Whim Student 30
- Renewing the Whim Student 30 Plan
- Questions and Answers
* Note: In order to register for this plan, the customer must pass an authentication check through the Finnish National Agency for Education (i.e. be a student in line with HSL requirements for student tickets) as well as an authentication check with HSL.
Whim Student 30 as a Whim Plan
This new Whim subscription plan includes an HSL 30-day ticket with the following zone options ( AB, BC, CD, ABC, BCD, ABCD), as well as the possibility to use taxis, bikes, e-scooters and car rentals with a separate fee.
Pricing of Whim Student 30
The price of Whim Student 30 starts from 34,40€/30 days and varies based on the HSL zone ticket selected. Please see a more detailed pricing of the available options below:
- AB: 34,40€ / 30 days
- BC: 34,40€ / 30 days
- CD: 44,30€ / 30 days
- ABC: 54,80€ / 30 days
- BCD: 54,80€ / 30 days
- ABCD: 78,40€ / 30 days
You can buy a student mobile season ticket using a service provided by a MaaS operator if:
- you are over 18 years of age, and
- you have a Finnish ID number, and
- you have a permanent address in the HSL area, i.e. in Helsinki, Espoo, Kauniainen, Vantaa, Kerava, Tuusula, Sipoo, Kirkkonummi or Siuntio, and
- you have an HSL account and online banking credentials for strong authentication.
To be able to buy a student season ticket using a mobility app, you must authorize the Finnish National Agency for Education to disclose your enrollment information and information about your educational institution to HSL via the My Studyinfo service of the Finnish National Agency for Education.
- Log in to the My Studyinfo service using strong authentication.
- Give the Finnish National Agency for Education permission to disclose your information to HSL.
- Based on the information provided by the Finnish National Agency for Education, HSL will determine whether you are entitled to a student season ticket.
- Your consent to the disclosure of your information will apply both to student mobile tickets purchased via HSL’s ticket sales channels and to tickets purchased via MaaS operators such as Whim.
- HSL will not disclose the information provided by the Finnish National Agency of Education to MaaS operators. The MaaS operator can only see that the customer who has authorized the operator to act on their behalf is entitled to a student mobile ticket.
- If you want to withdraw or amend your consent to the disclosure of information to HSL, you can do that on the My Studyinfo service.
In addition, you must authorize the MaaS operator (Whim) to buy personal HSL tickets on your behalf. In the MaaS service (Whim), you will be directed to authorize HSL to buy personal tickets on your behalf. This is called authorization to act on behalf of another person.
- Log in with your HSL account using strong authentication. Strong authentication allows HSL to access your home municipality information.
- Your authorization to the MaaS operator and your home municipality will be stored with your HSL account, along with information on whether you are entitled to a student season ticket.
Subscribing to Whim Student 30
- Download the Whim app and you can also fill in the profile and payment method at this stage.
- Choose the Whim Student 30 plan and the HSL zones you need.
- Continue to HSL authentication and give MaaS Global/Whim authorization to handle things for you and log in or register to HSL account.
- Verify your student enrollment status and duration via the My Studyinfo service of the Finnish National Agency for Education.
- Add payment details and confirm the order.
- (If you have an active Whim plan at the time of purchase, your plan will change to Whim Student 30 on the next renewal date of your plan.)
Note*: If you haven’t verified your student status yet, you will automatically be taken back to the Whim app after HSL authentication and from there you will enter the student verification (Opintopolku) flow to authorize the Finnish National Agency for Education to disclose your enrollment information and information about your educational institution to HSL:
- My StudyInfo of Finnish National Agency for Education web view opens up
- Log in with bank credentials or a mobile certificate
- See details about the verification and give HSL consent to check access your data
- Complete verification
- You will be automatically directed back to the Whim App. Note that if you end up to an error page, you might need to manually return to Whim.
More information about the student status verification here.
Renewing the Whim Student 30 Plan
- Like the other Whim subscriptions, Whim Student 30 renews automatically every 30 days. If you want to discontinue your subscription, kindly read here.
- When you authorize the Finnish National Agency for Education to disclose your enrollment information and information about your educational institution, your consent to the disclosure of your information is valid for 12 months. During the 12 months when your student status is valid, the subscription will renew automatically.
- If your student status is no longer valid or if your student status will be valid for less than 30 days, the automatic renewal will fail and your subscription will be canceled. The subscription fee will be refunded automatically and you will receive an email regarding the renewal failure and refund.
- We will inform you via email and push message 7 days before your student status is going to expire. You will be able to renew your student status before it expires and by doing so, you can make sure the next renewal of your subscription will be successful.
Questions and Answers
- Who is eligible for Whim Student 30?
- Why can’t I subscribe to Whim Student 30 as a student?
- Can I subscribe to Whim Student 30 as a foreign exchange student?
- What should I do if the verification of my student status failed?
- What is the validity and renewal of discount entitlement?
- What to do if there are problems with my student verification (Opintopolku)?
Who is eligible for Whim Student 30?
Students who meet the following criteria are eligible for the student discount:
- The student is over 18 years of age.
- The student lives permanently in the HSL area, i.e. their home municipality is Helsinki, Espoo, Kauniainen, Vantaa, Kerava, Sipoo, Tuusula, Kirkkonummi or Siuntio.
- The student is studying in a Finnish comprehensive school, upper secondary school, folk high school, vocational school, university of applied sciences or university.
- Studies are full-time.
- Under normal circumstances the studies lead to a qualification or degree. This includes studies leading to a basic education certificate. Also students attending preparatory vocational education (VALMA), preparatory studies for general upper secondary (LUVA), training preparing students for work and independent living or (TELMA) and those receiving preparatory education for basic education are entitled to the discount.
- The duration of the studies is at least one school/academic year. The school/academic year must be at least 8 months, for example from September to April.
Why can’t I subscribe to Whim Student 30 as a student?
Discount tickets are not granted to:
- Postgraduate students of universities studying for a licentiate or doctoral degree.
NB! The degree of Licentiate in Medicine is a basic university degree, and medical students are thus entitled to the discount.
- Students who are complementing their degree or taking studies, such as pedagogical studies, to gain competence or qualifications.
- Students studying in liberal adult education programs.
- Students in apprenticeship training.
- Students on internship.
Can I subscribe to Whim Student 30 as a foreign exchange student?
Unfortunately, it is not yet possible to subscribe to Whim Student 30 plan as a foreign exchange student.
What should I do if the verification of my student status failed?
If verification fails, we recommend you to do the following:
- try again
- choose another plan or
- contact customer care
What is the validity of discount entitlement?
The student discount entitlement must be valid for the duration of your 30-day ticket, which means, your student status must be valid during the 30-day period. If your studies last for an entire school year (autumn and spring terms) or if you finish your studies at the end of the spring term, the discount entitlement is valid until the end of August. If you finish your studies at the end of the autumn term, the discount entitlement is valid until the end of January.
I do not have Finnish online banking credentials, Finnish electronic ID-card or mobile certificate, how can I subscribe to Whim Student 30 subscription?
You can only access the My Studyinfo -service by registering with Finnish online banking credentials (e-identification must be enabled), a Finnish electronic ID-card or mobile certificate. Applicants who have none of these cannot access this service. Not having access to this service will result in an inability to use Whim Student 30 in WhimApp.
What to do if there are problems with my student verification (Opintopolku)?
Please contact our customer care service directly in case you are having problems with the student verification process.