HSL 30-day student season ticket is suitable for students who could use the occasional flexibility of a taxi or car.*. In this article, you can find more information about the following:
- HSL 30-day student season ticket
- Pricing of HSL 30-day student season ticket
- Eligibility Criteria
- Renewing the HSL 30-day student season ticket
- Questions and Answers
* Note: In order to register for this ticket, the customer must pass an authentication check through the Finnish National Agency for Education (i.e. be a student in line with HSL requirements for student tickets) as well as an authentication check with HSL.
HSL 30-day student season ticket
This season ticket is suitable for students who could use the occasional flexibility of a taxi or car. With this season ticket, you will get the following:
- Different options for HSL 30-day tickets that a customer can choose from depending on the municipality (zone) they live in.
- 12,50€ flat-rate taxi trips with Taksi Helsinki for 3km/10min rides. Flat-rate taxi trips apply to Taksi Helsinki trips that are max 3km and 10minutes long. If your trip is longer than 3km and or 10min, standard meter pricing applies.
- Affordable rental cars starting from €55/day. Including reduced deductible among other things.
- Access to book and pay TIER and VOI e-scooters. As a Whim customer, you only pay standard pricing for your scooter-rides.
- One free ride (30 min) with JURO bikes! After the free ride has been used, you may purchase either single rides or a Day pass (Coming soon!).
- One free Day Pass (value €25) every month to Sofia Co-working space in the heart of Helsinki on the edge of Senate Square (Spring benefit valid from 1 April to 30 June 2021. Does not apply to old customers of Sofia Coworking.)
Pricing of HSL 30-day student season ticket
The price of the HSL 30-day student season ticket starts from 34,40€/30 days and varies based on the HSL zone ticket selected. Please see a more detailed pricing of the available options below:
- AB: 34,40€ / 30 days
- BC: 34,40€ / 30 days
- CD: 44,30€ / 30 days
- ABC: 54,80€ / 30 days
- BCD: 54,80€ / 30 days
- ABCD: 78,40€ / 30 days
You can buy a student mobile season ticket using a service provided by a MaaS operator if:
- you are over 18 years of age, and
- you have a Finnish ID number, and
- you have a permanent address in the HSL area, i.e. in Helsinki, Espoo, Kauniainen, Vantaa, Kerava, Tuusula, Sipoo, Kirkkonummi or Siuntio, and
- you have an HSL account and online banking credentials for strong authentication.
To be able to buy a student season ticket using a mobility app, you must authorize the Finnish National Agency for Education to disclose your enrollment information and information about your educational institution to HSL via the My Studyinfo service of the Finnish National Agency for Education.
- Log in to the My Studyinfo service using strong authentication.
- Give the Finnish National Agency for Education permission to disclose your information to HSL.
- Based on the information provided by the Finnish National Agency for Education, HSL will determine whether you are entitled to a student season ticket.
- Your consent to the disclosure of your information will apply both to student mobile tickets purchased via HSL’s ticket sales channels and to tickets purchased via MaaS operators such as Whim.
- HSL will not disclose the information provided by the Finnish National Agency of Education to MaaS operators. The MaaS operator can only see that the customer who has authorized the operator to act on their behalf is entitled to a student mobile ticket.
- If you want to withdraw or amend your consent to the disclosure of information to HSL, you can do that on the My Studyinfo service.
In addition, you must authorize the MaaS operator (Whim) to buy personal HSL tickets on your behalf. In the MaaS service (Whim), you will be directed to authorize HSL to buy personal tickets on your behalf. This is called authorization to act on behalf of another person.
- Log in with your HSL account using strong authentication. Strong authentication allows HSL to access your home municipality information.
- Your authorization to the MaaS operator and your home municipality will be stored with your HSL account, along with information on whether you are entitled to a student season ticket.
Subscribing to the HSL 30-day student season ticket
- Download the Whim app and you can also fill in the profile and payment method at this stage.
- Choose the HSL 30-day student season ticket and the HSL zones you need.
- Continue to HSL authentication and give MaaS Global/Whim authorization to handle things for you and log in or register to HSL account.
- Verify your student enrollment status and duration via the My Studyinfo service of the Finnish National Agency for Education.
- Add payment details and confirm the order.
- (If you have an active Whim ticket at the time of purchase, your ticket will change to the HSL 30-day student season ticket on the next renewal date of your season ticket.)
Note*: If you haven’t verified your student status yet, you will automatically be taken back to the Whim app after HSL authentication and from there you will enter the student verification (Opintopolku) flow to authorize the Finnish National Agency for Education to disclose your enrollment information and information about your educational institution to HSL:
- My StudyInfo of Finnish National Agency for Education web view opens up
- Log in with bank credentials or a mobile certificate
- See details about the verification and give HSL consent to check access your data
- Complete verification
- You will be automatically directed back to the Whim App. Note that if you end up to an error page, you might need to manually return to Whim.
More information about the student status verification here.
Renewing the HSL 30-day student season ticket
- Like the other Whim season tickets, the HSL 30-day student season ticket renews automatically every 30 days. If you want to discontinue your season ticket, kindly read here.
- When you authorize the Finnish National Agency for Education to disclose your enrollment information and information about your educational institution, your consent to the disclosure of your information is valid for 12 months. During the 12 months when your student status is valid, the season ticket will renew automatically.
- If your student status is no longer valid or if your student status will be valid for less than 30 days, the automatic renewal will fail and your order will be canceled. The season ticket fee will be refunded automatically and you will receive an email regarding the renewal failure and refund.
- We will inform you via email and push message 7 days before your student status is going to expire. You will be able to renew your student status before it expires and by doing so, you can make sure the next renewal of your season ticket will be successful.
Questions and Answers
- Who is eligible for the HSL 30-day student season ticket?
- Why can’t I subscribe to the HSL 30-day student season ticket as a student?
- Can I subscribe to the HSL 30-day student season ticket as a foreign exchange student?
- What should I do if the verification of my student status failed?
- What is the validity and renewal of discount entitlement?
- What to do if there are problems with my student verification (Opintopolku)?
Who is eligible for the HSL 30-day student season ticket?
Students who meet the following criteria are eligible for the student discount:
- The student is over 18 years of age.
- The student lives permanently in the HSL area, i.e. their home municipality is Helsinki, Espoo, Kauniainen, Vantaa, Kerava, Sipoo, Tuusula, Kirkkonummi or Siuntio.
- The student is studying in a Finnish comprehensive school, upper secondary school, folk high school, vocational school, university of applied sciences or university.
- Studies are full-time.
- Under normal circumstances the studies lead to a qualification or degree. This includes studies leading to a basic education certificate. Also students attending preparatory vocational education (VALMA), preparatory studies for general upper secondary (LUVA), training preparing students for work and independent living or (TELMA) and those receiving preparatory education for basic education are entitled to the discount.
- The duration of the studies is at least one school/academic year. The school/academic year must be at least 8 months, for example from September to April.
Why can’t I order the HSL 30-day student season ticket as a student?
Discount tickets are not granted to:
- Postgraduate students of universities studying for a licentiate or doctoral degree.
NB! The degree of Licentiate in Medicine is a basic university degree, and medical students are thus entitled to the discount.
- Students who are complementing their degree or taking studies, such as pedagogical studies, to gain competence or qualifications.
- Students studying in liberal adult education programs.
- Students in apprenticeship training.
- Students on internship.
Can I order the HSL 30-day student season ticket as a foreign exchange student?
Unfortunately, it is not yet possible to order the HSL 30-day student season ticket as a foreign exchange student.
What should I do if the verification of my student status failed?
If verification fails, we recommend you to do the following:
- try again
- choose another plan or
- contact customer care
What is the validity of discount entitlement?
The student discount entitlement must be valid for the duration of your 30-day ticket, which means, your student status must be valid during the 30-day period. If your studies last for an entire school year (autumn and spring terms) or if you finish your studies at the end of the spring term, the discount entitlement is valid until the end of August. If you finish your studies at the end of the autumn term, the discount entitlement is valid until the end of January.
I do not have Finnish online banking credentials, Finnish electronic ID-card or mobile certificate, how can I subscribe to the HSL 30-day student season ticket?
You can only access the My Studyinfo -service by registering with Finnish online banking credentials (e-identification must be enabled), a Finnish electronic ID-card or mobile certificate. Applicants who have none of these cannot access this service. Not having access to this service will result in an inability to use the HSL 30-day student season ticket in WhimApp.
What to do if there are problems with my student verification (Opintopolku)?
Please contact our customer care service directly in case you are having problems with the student verification process.