This article discusses how to book and use Sixt car rentals in the Netherlands.
Sixt offers car classes from economy to luxury vehicles including Compact city cars, Sedans, Station wagons, SUVs and Convertibles. You can find the available car options from the Whim app and from this link: Here
The app will show you the available cars and pick-up locations to choose from. Sixt cars can be booked via Whim from Sixt offices Here
Please note that the location at Amsterdam Central Station and airport locations are premium locations and unfortunately not yet available via Whim.
Renting a Car with Whim
1. To book a rental car, tap “Rental Cars” in the Home View (Fig. 1).
Fig. 1. Rental Cars in the Home View
2. The Car Rental View will open up (Fig. 2). You can edit pick-up and drop-off dates and times by tapping the blue button at the top right corner of the screen. This will open up a view where you can edit your rental car search criteria (Fig. 3).
Fig. 2. Car rental view Fig. 3. Edit rental car search criteria
3. Once your pick-up and drop-off times and dates have been set, Whim will show you all available cars by rental office location. Tap specific cars listed to view more details of the rental car.
4. Once you have chosen a car that suits you, proceed to “Reserve this car” (Fig.4). Confirm the payment to reserve your rental car (Fig. 5).
Fig. 4. Reserve this car Fig. 5. Confirm booking and payment
5. Your booking has been made (Fig. 6)! You can view your upcoming bookings under the “Active Tickets” section in the Home View (Fig. 7). Tap a booking to open up a detailed view of the booking.
Fig. 6. Booking confirmation Fig. 7. Rental booking in Active Tickets
6. If you wish to cancel your booking, open up the detailed booking view by tapping the booking under the “Active Tickets” section in the Home View (Fig. 7). Scroll down to the bottom of the page and choose “Cancel booking” (Fig. 8). Once your booking has been cancelled, you will see a confirmation at the top of the app’s screen (Fig. 9) and the payment for the booking will be refunded to you within a couple of banking days.
Fig. 8. Cancel booking Fig. 9. Booking cancelled successfully
Picking up and Returning a Car
- You will need a valid driver’s license (minimum of two years of driving experience) and an identity card or passport. Every additional driver must also present a valid driver’s license.
- You need to be at least 21 years of age. A deviation from the minimum age is possible depending on the vehicle. Drivers under 25 will have to pay a surcharge, more information provided as you book online.
- You will need a credit card for deposit. The car rental will place a reservation on your card for possible damages. A deposit of up to 3 times the hire price will be required on collection. The exact amount depends on your vehicle and will be calculated when you pick up your car rental. For more detailed info please check Rental Information.
- Credit cards from internationally recognized credit card companies are acceptable, whereas all prepaid and debit cards, such as VISA Electron are not accepted (if you are unsure whether your card is accepted, please contact Sixt customer service for advice).
- The payment method must have been issued in the name of the driver.
- This must be presented at the time of vehicle pick-up and be valid at this time until at least one month after the end of the rental.
- The amount that will be debited includes the rental price as well as all additional extras and charges.
- Cash Payment is not accepted.
- The deposit will be returned on your card after the rental if the car is returned as agreed and its condition matches the rental terms and conditions.
- The rental car should be returned to the same office it was picked up from unless agreed otherwise. If you wish to return the car to a different location, please contact Sixt customer service (no extra charge for this).
- The car also needs to be returned with a full gas tank, unless otherwise agreed with Sixt customer service.
- For more detailed information on terms & conditions of the rental, please visit: Rental Information or contact Sixt customer service.
Questions and Answers
- What’s the pricing for Whim customers?
- Does my rental booking include a km limit?
- What extra services are available?
- Can I drive abroad with my rental car?
- Where can I view Terms and Conditions of the rental?
What’s the pricing for Whim customers?
Pay as you Go: Dynamic pricing applies. Please see the options and prices from the app.
Does my rental booking include a km limit?
The rental price includes 250 km (additional kilometres for an extra fee) and the mandatory traffic insurance.
What extra services are available?
The extra services available are listed below. Please contact your rental office to arrange any extra services for your booking.
- Drivers under 25 will have to pay a surcharge
- Third party insurance
- Personal accident protection
- Tyre and glass coverage
- Roadside protection
- Loss damage waiver (incl. theft protection)
- Out of opening hours, service is available at the selected station
- One-way rentals: National: One-way-rentals within Sixt locations in the Netherlands are allowed under conditions depending on tariff. International: International one-way-rentals are only allowed for selected countries, depending on the current tariff. In the case of unannounced and unauthorised one-way rentals, Sixt reserves the right to charge an additional fee.
- Vehicle refuelling: If desired, the vehicle will be refuelled according to currently available conditions after returning it to the station.
- Delivery and collection: Deliveries and collections are available at the local rental station subject to a fee.
- Read more about all available extra services here.
Can I drive abroad with my rental car?
You can cross borders into many countries including nearby Belgium and Germany with your Sixt car rental in the Netherlands.
There are some restrictions on which EU countries you can travel to depending on the brand of vehicle. These restrictions are divided into 3 zones. Click here for more info and select "Netherlands" - "Passenger vehicle".
Where can I view Terms and Conditions of the rental?
Direct links to different languages: