In this article we explain how to use public transport in Flanders and how to buy De Lijn, single M-tickets through Whim:
Ticket Pricing and Validity
With Whim, you can access public transport in Antwerp and the Flanders region. The ticket pricing is as follows:
- For Pay as You Go users, De Lijn m-tickets cost 2,5€ per single ticket. The ticket is valid for one hour.
- m-card10 (single ticket bundle):
- Price: 17,00€ per bundle
- Bundle of 10 m-tickets.
- m-card10 entitles you to 10 times 60 minutes of travel time on buses and trams.
- The area coverage is exactly the same as with a single M-ticket (more info under “Ticket types the TSP offers”).
- Valid for one year from the day of purchase.
Purchase limitations in Whim:
- In Whim only 1 bundle of m-card10 can be bought at a time.
- You can only buy a bundle when you have 0 tickets on your balance.
The area has only one zone, therefore, all the tickets cover the whole area: Bus (Antwerpen province and Flanders region); Tram and metro (only in Antwerp).
With the M-ticket, you can travel on all buses and trams* for one hour.
(*except on Limburg express lines.)
How to Buy a De Lijn Ticket through Whim
1. The Whim app recognizes your location and suggests the best ticket option.
2. You can activate or buy tickets from the Journey planner* (Fig. 1) or “Travel by” (Fig. 2).
* Note: When you buy a ticket through the Journey planner, your ticket will be activated 5-10 minutes before your vehicle is scheduled to leave. When you buy a ticket through the “Travel by”, it will be activated immediately.
Fig. 1. Journey planner view and favourites
Fig. 2. Choose a travel mode from “Travel by”
3. Add your departure and destination address to the Journey Planner (Fig. 3) and book the trip (Fig. 4).
Fig. 3. Journey plan options Fig. 4. Book trip
4. From “Travel by” you can choose the ticket you need and confirm the ticket activation/purchase (Fig. 5).
Fig. 5. Ticket option view
5. You can find all your active tickets and validity information under the Active Tickets in the Home View (Fig. 6).
Fig. 6. Active tickets in the Home View
Questions and Answers
- Is GPS required while using public transport in Whim?
- Do I have to activate the public transport tickets each time before boarding a vehicle?
- What do I do if my phone runs out of battery?
- I accidentally bought the wrong single/day ticket. Can I get my money back?
Is GPS required while using public transport in Whim?
Yes. GPS should always be enabled whenever using the Whim app. Without it, the service may be impaired.
Do I have to activate the public transport tickets each time before boarding a vehicle?
You must make sure the single tickets are activated and valid before boarding a vehicle. Please note that failure to produce a valid ticket may result in a fine.
What do I do if my phone runs out of battery?
Please ensure your device has ample power for the duration of your entire trip. Failure to produce a valid ticket may result in a fine.
I accidentally bought the wrong single/day ticket. Can I get my money back?
Unfortunately, incorrectly purchased single tickets are non-refundable.