In this article, we explain how to use public transportation with Föli in Turku Region. In this article you can find information about the following:
Using Föli with Whim
As a Whim customer, you may use Föli public transportation service (bus, e-bus and waterbus) in the Turku region, which includes Kaarina, Raisio, Lieto, Naantali and Rusko.
With our pay-per-ride option, you may purchase single tickets for adults and children as well as tourist tickets (day tickets for 1-7 days and 14 days). Children under the age of 7 can travel free of charge when accompanied by a paying passenger. A flat rate is applied to the entire Turku region, which means the same tickets are valid across the whole region.
Steps for Using Föli Single and Tourist Tickets
1. The Whim app recognizes your location and suggests the best ticket option.
2. You can activate or buy tickets from the Journey planner* (Fig. 1.) or “Travel by” (Fig. 2.).
* Note: When you buy a ticket through the Journey planner, your ticket will be activated 5-10 minutes before your vehicle is scheduled to leave. When you buy a ticket through the “Travel by”, it will be activated immediately.
Fig. 1. Journey planner view and favourites
Fig. 2. Choose a travel mode from “Travel by”
3. Add your departure and destination address to the Journey Planner (Fig. 3.) and book the trip (Fig. 4.).
Fig. 3. Journey plan options Fig. 4. Book trip
4. From “Travel by” you can choose the ticket you need and confirm the ticket activation/purchase. (Fig. 5.)
Fig. 5. Ticket option view
5. You can find all your active tickets and validity information under the Active Ticket section in the Home View (Fig. 6.). You can open the QR code, by tapping the activated ticket.
Fig. 6. Active tickets in the Home View
6. When entering a bus, show the QR code of the ticket to the QR reader on the bus. Place your mobile phone under the reader device with the screen facing up.
Questions and Answers
- What kind of tickets can you buy through Whim and how much do those cost?
- How long are Föli tickets valid for and how many trips can I take with these tickets?
- Is GPS required while using public transport in Whim?
- I accidentally bought the wrong single/tourist ticket. Can I get my money back?
- Do I have to have an activated public transport ticket before boarding a vehicle?
- What do I do if my phone runs out of battery?
- Can I take my bicycle to the bus?
What kind of tickets can you buy through Whim and how much do those cost?
You may purchase adults’ single tickets, tourist tickets (1-7 days and 14 days) and children’s single tickets.
Single tickets available:
- Adult single ticket: 3,00 €
- Adult single night ticket (23:00–04:00): 4,00 €
- Child single ticket: 1,50 €
- Child single night ticket (23:00 –04:00): 2,50 €
Tourist tickets available:
- 1 day (24 hours): 8 €
- 2 days: 11 €
- 3 days: 14 €
- 4 days: 17 €
- 5 days: 20 €
- 6 days: 23 €
- 7 days: 26 €
- 14 days: 33 €
How long are Föli tickets valid for and how many trips can I take with these tickets?
Föli single tickets (both adult and child tickets) are valid for 2 hours from the time of purchase. Please note, that you are allowed to take a maximum of 6 trips within the 2-hour validity period and max. 4 trips/hour*.
For Föli tourist tickets, the time of the ticket starts counting from the time of purchase. With a Tourist ticket, you may take a maximum of 15 trips a day and max. 5 trips/hour*.
If you exceed your trip limit, you will be informed about this by the QR-code reader and you will be asked to purchase another ticket.
*Please note that these conditions are subject to change, and the latest information about the validity of your ticket is always available in the app (in the payment confirmation view).
Is GPS required while using public transport in Whim?
Yes. GPS should always be enabled whenever using the Whim app. Without it, the service may be impaired.
I accidentally bought the wrong single/tourist ticket. Can I get my money back?
Unfortunately, incorrectly purchased single and tourist tickets are not refundable.
Do I have to have an activated public transport ticket before boarding a vehicle?
Yes. The price of a single ticket is collected from those traveling without an appropriate and valid ticket.
What do I do if my phone runs out of battery?
It is the passenger’s responsibility to make sure that the phone has enough battery life to last the entirety of the journey.
Can I take my bicycle to the bus?
Bicycles can be taken on buses at the driver’s discretion. A transportation fee of €6 will be charged for bicycles.