With Whim you get access to taxis in Turku area via our partner Menevä and Taksi Länsi-Suomi. You can book and pay for rides in just a few taps. In this article, you will find the following:
How to Book a Taxi Using Whim
1. Select Taxis from the Home View (Fig. 1).
Fig. 1. Taxi button
2. Enter your destination address. You can also edit the pick-up address or choose your exact location from the map (Fig. 2).
Fig. 2. Add pick-up and drop-off addresses in this view
3. Whim will show you the taxi options The app will also show you ETAs for the taxi types available (Fig. 3).
*Please note that ETA is an estimated time of arrival.
Fig. 3. An example of ETAs from Helsinki
4. If you want, you can also add a message to the driver with more detailed pick-up instructions by tapping "Add a message for the driver" and adding your message to the message field provided (Fig. 4).
Fig. 4. Add a message for the taxi driver
5. Whim will charge you an estimated fare (Fig .5).
Fig. 5. Payment window
5. After the payment, Whim will request a taxi for you (Fig. 6).
Fig. 6. Requesting a taxi
6. You may cancel the request by clicking the “Cancel” button (Fig. 7 and 8). Please wait until you receive the green message saying “Booking was canceled” (Fig. 9).
Fig. 7. Requesting a Taxi Fig. 8. Cancellation Confirmation Fig. 9. Booking successfully canceled
7. After a successful request, Whim will show you the taxi number as well as the estimated time of arrival of the taxi (Fig. 10).
Fig. 10. The booked taxi is on its way
8. You will receive an email confirmation about the payment. If you need a receipt with more detail, please select the trip from the past trips view and tap Send Receipt by Email.
Questions and Answers
- How are taxi trips priced?
- Can I cancel my booking through Whim?
- I called the taxi center to cancel my taxi, why do I still get charged?
- Can I use Whim for any taxi in the Turku region?
- How can I order the closest available taxi?
- I ordered a taxi but something went wrong. Did I lose the payment I spent on the order?
- Can I still change the destination once a booking is made via the app?
- Can I leave detailed pick-up instructions for the taxi driver?
- Can I request a taxi with a specific requirement (e.g. pet friendly or with a child seat)?
- Is it possible to make an advance booking through Whim?
- If the GPS location detected by the Whim App is wrong, how do I amend the address?
How are taxi trips priced?
Taxi trips are priced according to meter price estimate (Menevä and Taksi Länsi-Suomi). With actual taxi meter pricing, you will be charged with the pre-authorized amount when ordering the taxi. At the end of the ride, the charge is settled with the pre-authorized amount. If the final fare is higher than the pre-authorized amount, the difference will be added to the final charge, and if the final fare is lower, the final fare is charged and the rest of the pre-authorized amount is released back to your payment card balance.
More taxi providers’ pricing:
- Menevä: https://meneva.fi/en/ajankohtaista/new-pricing
- Taksi Länsi-Suomi: https://www.taksilansisuomi.fi/taksihinnasto/
Can I cancel my booking through Whim?
If the taxi order has already been confirmed by the driver, unfortunately, it can no longer be cancelled. However, you are able to cancel the booking before the request has been accepted by the driver (Fig.11 and 12). Please be patient when the app is cancelling your request, you will get a confirmation message “Booking was cancelled” after a successful cancellation (Fig.13).
If you didn’t get a notification of successful cancellation, it may indicate that a taxi driver has already accepted your booking and is on their way to you. In these cases we advise you to check your Whim app ticket view for an active trip.
Please also note that if you do not cancel your taxi booking, you might be charged a customer-no-show fee or cancellation fee by the taxi company.
Fig. 11. Cancel the request Fig. 12. Confirm the cancellation request Fig. 13. A successful cancellation
I called the taxi center to cancel my taxi, why do I still get charged?
If you can not cancel your taxi booking any more via the app, you may cancel it by calling the taxi center. Please note that you may be charged a cancellation fee if the cancellation is made after the driver has accepted your request and is on the way to pick you up.
The cancellation fee is decided by our service providers:
Taksi Länsi-Suomi: 10€
Can I use Whim for any taxi in the Turku region?
For the time being, you may order taxis via Whim from Menevä and Taksi Länsi-Suomi in the Turku region.
How can I order the closest available taxi?
When ordering a taxi, it is now possible to see the estimated time of arrival (ETA) for taxis from different service providers. Please note that the ETA is an estimate and not a definite time of arrival.
I ordered a taxi but something went wrong. Did I lose the payment I spent on the order?
We get notified of all failed orders and return the credit to you automatically.
If you need help, however, please contact us via the in-app Help Center or online.
Can I still change the destination once a booking is made via the app?
Once a booking is made via the app, the destination can no longer be changed. If you notice that your address is incorrect while Whim is still searching for a taxi for you, you can cancel the booking in the app by tapping the "Cancel" button and make a new booking. When cancelling a taxi please wait until the app shows you a "Booking was cancelled" message.
Can I leave detailed pick-up instructions for the taxi driver?
Yes. After choosing the taxi operator and taxi type, tap “add pick-up-instructions” and type in your message. You can type in max 160 characters. Confirm by tapping “add message” and continue to confirm the order. Please note that messages cannot be sent or edited after order is placed. Drivers cannot send a reply to your message.
This feature is currently supported by Menevä and Taksi Länsi-Suomi.
Can I request a taxi with a specific requirement (e.g. pet friendly or with a child seat)?
If you have a specific request (a taxi with a baby seat, a taxi for the disabled, a taxi where accompanying pets are allowed, etc.), you can now specify these by leaving a message to your taxi driver. However, we kindly ask you to note that this may result in delays of getting a taxi and does not guarantee you to get a taxi that will accommodate your request.
Is it possible to make an advance booking through Whim?
Unfortunately, it is not yet possible to make an advance booking via Whim. We currently only process real-time bookings.
If the GPS location detected by the Whim App is wrong, how do I amend the address?
If the GPS location detected is wrong, you can tap to change the pick-up location, then manually key in the address in the "Choose starting point" field to correct it.