Note: If you are using TIER e-scooters directly from the TIER app, please contact their customer service directly via phone: +358 9 425 50519 (08:00 - 20:00) or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, that TIER is currently operating with reduced fleets in Finland.
With Whim you can now use shared TIER electric charged scooters in Helsinki and Turku. This article explains the following:
- Guide to Using TIER e-scooters
- Picking up a TIER e-scooter
- Start Riding
- During the Ride
- Ending Your Ride
- How to Report a Problem with Your e-scooter
- Rider Requirements
- Pricing for Whim Users
- Possible Extra Fees
- Questions and Answers
Guide to Using TIER e-scooters
Picking up a TIER e-scooter
Tier e-scooters are available every day from 00:00 to 24:00 in Helsinki and Turku. To be able to use the Tier e-Scooter:
Choose Scooters from “Travel By” section in the Home View of the app.
Fig. 1. Whim Home View
- You can see available Tier e-scooters and their locations in the Whim app.
- Before unlocking the e-scooter take a look at the safety instructions shown in the app.
- You can either:
- Point your camera at the QR code (Fig. 1) on the e-scooter's handlebar to unlock it.
- You can also type in the e-scooter ID to unlock the e-scooter.
- If you have trouble scanning/reading the QR code, you can use the in-app flashlight function.
- Unlock the scooter by tapping "Scan QR Code".
Fig. 2. TIER e-scooter QR Code.
- Or Unlock the e-scooter by selecting an e-scooter on the map and tapping "unlock e-scooter".
- This function lets you unlock the e-scooter from up to 400m away.
- Your ride will start immediately after tapping "unlock e-scooter".
- If you are more than 400 m away from the e-scooter, a window, saying that you should move closer to the e-scooter, will pop up on your screen.
- Whim shows you the location of the e-scooter on the map, but if you can’t find it, you can choose the “bell” function from the app. The e-scooter will make a ringing/beeping sound so it is easier for you to locate it.
After unlocking/scanning the QR code Whim asks you to confirm the booking.
- Once your e-scooter is unlocked, its lights and the display turn on.
- Start rolling!
- To start moving, first, place one foot on the board and then use your other foot to push the e-scooter forward (2-3 times) in order to pick up speed.
- Once rolling, put both feet on the footboard and press the acceleration lever on the right side of the handlebar. This will start the electric motor.
Fig. 3. TIER e-scooter acceleration lever
During the Ride
- By pressing the right lever (Fig. 2), you can accelerate and control the speed of your e-scooter.
- To slow down your e-scooter, you can either use the handbrake on the left side of the handlebar (Fig. 3), or by pressing the foot brake in the back of the e-scooter.
- The latest models of TIER e-scooters have the hand brake whereas the older models have the foot brake.
Fig. 4. TIER e-scooter hand brake
- Do not exceed the local speed regulations of 18-25 km/h.
- Pay attention to traffic and respect local traffic laws.
- A little speedometer on the handlebar shows you the battery condition of the scooter as well as the speed.
- In Whim you can see the duration of your current ride as well as the price. You can also see the e-scooter ID and the battery level.
- Find out about reduced speed zones, no parking zones, and outside-operating area by tapping the zones on the map.
- You can ride your scooter within the permitted TIER business zone during the regular operating hours.
Ending Your Ride
- Make sure you are inside the permitted TIER business zone, this is the white area on the map.
- Check that you are not standing in no parking zones. These are the red areas on the map.
- Once you’ve found a suitable parking spot for your e-scooter (public and accessible to everyone), open Whim and tap “End ride”.
- The parking spot doesn’t block public paths, driveways or building entrances.
- Whim shows you the details of your ride.
How to Report a Problem with Your e-scooter
- If you have any problems with the e-scooter, please contact Tier
- via phone: +358 9 425 50519 (08:00 - 20:00) and have e-scooter ID handy
- via email to email@example.com (include your e-scooter ID in the email)
- or via webform here and have e-scooter ID handy
- Or contact Whim customer care via in-app Help Center.
In order to be able to use TIER e-scooters in Helsinki and Turku, you must fulfill the following rider requirements:
- You must be 18 years or older
- You are also required to have experience or minimum skills with driving VMPs (vehicle for personal mobility) and to be familiar with the operation and the safe handling of VMPs.
- Have to have a minimum of knowledge of driving and the local traffic regulations.
- For your own safety we recommend always wearing a helmet when riding a TIER. Depending on your local traffic laws, helmets might be mandatory.
- Have accepted General Terms that include the Special Terms and appendices.
- See section 11.7 of https://www.tier.app/terms-conditions/ for more info.
Pricing for Whim Users
HELSINKI: Without a season ticket, serial ticket or bundle, HSL 30-day season ticket, HSL 30-day student season ticket, 10-ticket, City Bike season pass and Unlimited:
- Starting fee of 1€
- Additional charge of0,20€~0.25€ per every minute used
- E.g. for a 5-minute ride the cost would be 1€ + 5 x 0,20€ = 2,00€
TURKU: Without a season ticket, serial ticket or bundle
- Starting fee of 1€
- Additional charge of 0,20€~0.25€ per every minute used
- E.g. for a 5-minute ride the cost would be 1€ + 5 x 0,20€ = 2,00€
*Minute price subject to change by TIER.
Possible Extra Fees:
- For driving without a confirmed or valid rental contract or for transferring the access data to another user: €250.00
- For loss or all repair fees incurred due to the fault of the user: arising expenses depending on the amount billed
- For additional costs incurred due to the fault of the user (e.g. Towing / picking up the vehicle etc.): arising expenses depending on the amount billed
- For parking an e-scooter at not publicly accessible locations: €50.00
- For moving an illegally parked e-scooter: €50.00
- For picking up an e-scooter outside the business zones: €50.00
Questions and Answers
- Can I pay for my TIER e-scooter trip using in-app credit?
- Are TIER e-scooters available all year round?
- Do I need to have a driver’s license to use a TIER e-scooter?
- Is there an age limit to use a TIER e-scooter?
- Does TIER provide insurance for using an e-scooter?
- Can I rent a TIER e-scooter for my friend?
- Do I need to wear a helmet when using a TIER e-scooter?
- Is there a time limit for using a TIER e-scooter?
- Where can I park a TIER e-scooter?
Can I pay for my TIER e-scooter trip using in-app credit?
Yes, paying for your trip with in-app credit is possible, if you have enough in-app credit on your Whim account to cover the whole cost of the trip. If you do not have enough in-app credit to cover the cost of the whole trip, the price of the trip will be charged from the payment card registered to your Whim profile.
Are TIER e-scooters available all year round?
Yes, TIER e-scooters are available all year round. However, e-scooter availability is weather dependent and to ensure your safety TIER may take the scooters off road temporarily, when the weather conditions are challenging (e.g. snow or icy conditions).
Do I need to have a driver’s license to use a TIER e-scooter?
In Finland, you do not need to have a driver’s license in order to drive a TIER e-scooter. However, you are required to have minimum driving skills and knowledge of local traffic rules and regulations.
Is there an age limit to use a TIER e-scooter?
Yes, you need to be 18 years old in order to drive a TIER e-scooter in Finland.
Does TIER provide insurance for using an e-scooter?
Yes, TIER provides legal liability insurance for the user.
Can I rent a TIER e-scooter for my friend?
Unfortunately, renting a TIER e-scooter for a friend is not possible at the moment. In order to rent a TIER e-scooter, you need to use your personal user account. Renting an e-scooter for someone else with your own account may result in a penalty fee of 250€.
Do I need to wear a helmet when using a TIER e-scooter?
For your own safety, we highly recommend wearing a helmet while using a TIER e-scooter.
Can I ride a TIER e-scooter on a walkway?
Riding an e-scooter on a walkway is illegal in Finland and therefore is not allowed with TIER e-scooters either.
Is there a time limit for using a TIER e-scooter?
You can ride your TIER as far and long as you want to – as long as you end your ride within the permitted TIER zones.
Where can I park a TIER e-scooter?
You can park your e-scooter in the permitted TIER business zones, which is shown in the app. You are not allowed to park your e-scooter in the red areas shown in the map and you must ensure the parked e-scooter will not block any public paths, roads or entrances to buildings.
Fig. 4. Zone colors and their meaning