With Whim, you can now access single and return City Airport Train (CAT) tickets to travel between Vienna City Centre and Vienna International Airport.
In this article, you can find more about City Airport Trains and how you can travel with them via Whim.
City Airport Train - CAT
City Airport Train is an airport train connecting Vienna City Centre (Wien-Mitte railway station) to the Vienna International Airport.
- The ride time is 16 minutes, and the trains run nonstop.
- The City Airport Train is available 365 days a year from early morning to late at night (the first train from Wien-Mitte departs at 5.37 am, the last from the airport in the direction of Wien-Mitte at 11.39 pm.)
- The CAT has a station at the airport, conveniently just a few steps from the airport’s baggage claim area.
- In the city center, the CAT arrives and departs from Wien-Mitte railway station.
Buying a CAT Ticket through Whim
- Choose Public Transport from the Whim Home view (Fig.1). The App will show you different ticket options offered in Vienna to choose from.
Fig. 1. Public Transport from the Whim Home view
- Alternatively, you can also buy tickets with Whim using the “Where to?” button, which opens up the Journey Planner (Fig.2).
Fig. 2. “Where to?” button view
- Pressing on “Where to?” will open up the Whim journey planner (Fig. 3). Here, you can plan your trip according to your schedule: simply enter your departure and destination locations and choose from the journey options presented to you.
Fig. 3. Plan journey view
Fig. 4. Journey suggestions view
- You can buy either a Single (one-way) Ticket (airport - Wien-Mitte OR Wien-Mitte - airport) or a Return Ticket (Round trip to and from the airport - Wien-Mitte) with Whim using the Journey planner or through the Public transport button (Fig. 5).
Fig. 5. CAT ticket options view
Fig. 6. CAT single ticket
Fig. 7. CAT return ticket
- You can find all your active tickets and check their validity in the Whim Home View Active Tickets menu (Fig. 8). By tapping an active ticket on the Active Tickets menu, you can get into the ticket view (Fig. 9).
Fig. 8. Active tickets menu
Fig. 9. CAT ticket view
Questions and Answers
- Which CAT tickets can I purchase via Whim?
- Which CAT trains can I travel with?
- How do I prove I have a valid ticket?
- How do I cancel my ticket?
- Which extra services are available to me free of charge?
- Is there luggage storage available at the station?
- What if my train is delayed?
Which CAT tickets can I purchase via Whim?
You may purchase the CAT Single Tickets which are valid for 5 months, this allows you to travel one trip from Vienna International Airport to Wien-Mitte railway station OR from Wien-Mitte railway station to Vienna International Airport.
Or you may purchase the Return Ticket which is also valid for a one-time use within a period of 6 months. This allows you to take a round trip to and from Vienna International Airport - Wien-Mitte railway station.
Prices for these tickets are as follows:
- Single ticket (one-way) 11€
- Return ticket 19€
Which CAT trains can I travel with?
You can take your trip to or from the airport with any CAT train during the ticket’s validity, as the tickets are not restricted to certain schedules. However, please note that the tickets are one-time use, and you cannot take multiple trips with one ticket (Single Ticket = one trip from or to the airport, Return Ticket = Round trip to and from the airport - Wien-Mitte)
Go to the train from the CAT platform at the airport OR via CAT lounge at the Wien-Mitte railway station.
How do I prove I have a valid ticket?
When traveling with the CAT, you need to show the ticket on your phone when you meet a train attendant. The train attendant will scan the QR code on your ticket to check its validity.
- A single (one-way) ticket is valid for the duration of your ride
- The return ticket will stay active in your Tickets menu until the end of your round trip (second train ride) with the CAT.
How do I cancel my ticket?
If you bought a ticket through the Whim button, your ticket gets activated immediately and cannot be canceled anymore in the Whim app.
If you bought a ticket through the journey planner, your ticket will get activated 5-10 minutes before your train is scheduled to leave.
Which extra services are available to me free of charge?
- Free Wi-Fi and power outlets on board
- With the CAT City Check-In, which is located in the CAT lounge in the Vienna Mitte railway station, you can check-in your baggage to your flight up to 75 minutes before departure and get your boarding pass. Please note that to use this benefit, you need to be flying with one of the participating airlines: check here
More information: here
Is there luggage storage available at the station?
In the CAT terminal in Vienna Mitte railway station, there are 30 lockers which can be used by CAT customers free of charge.
What if my train is delayed?
If your train is delayed, you may be entitled to compensation:
- If the passenger misses his/her flight due to the CAT train being delayed for 30 minutes or more, the CAT will refund the cost of your new plane ticket.
- Click here for more info: https://www.cityairporttrain.com/userfiles/files/downloads/CAT_Travel-Guarantee_WEB.pdf
Please sign in to leave a comment.