In this article, you can find information about
- What Are Velo Bikes?
- How Do I Use Velo Bikes?
What Are Velo Bikes?
Velo bikes are shared-use bicycles that can be borrowed for a fee in Antwerp. Altogether, there are currently almost 300 bike stations located in Antwerp within a walking distance from each other (max 400 m) in an area that includes the city center and the surrounding districts Berchem, Borgerhout, Deurne, Hoboken, Merksem and Wilrijk.
The Velo bikes are available all year round and 24 hours a day. The number of rides per day is unlimited. You can only take one bike at a time. Only after having returned the bike successfully (and after having waited 5 min), can you take another bike from any available station. Your time of use starts again from zero.
Pay as You Go
The price for renting the bike is 4€/24h. This price includes:
0-30 min rides are free. You can do as many journeys of up to 30 minutes each as you want. In the case you take the bike longer, you will have to pay an additional amount of:
- Rides 30-60 min.+ € 0,50
- Rides 60-90 min. + € 1
- Rides over 90 min. + € 5 per started hour
As an example: 91 minutes costs 4€ + 0,50 +1 + 5 = 10,50. 151 minutes costs € 15,50€.
Note that you are allowed to use a bike for a maximum period of 4 consecutive hours. If you exceed the 4 hours, you will be charged 150€ for the delay and if the bike is not returned at all, a compensation fee of 400 euros will be charged for the bike.
How Do I Use Velo Bikes?
Your personal cyclist ID and a PIN code for collecting the bike will be available via the Whim app (Please notice: After pin-codes are generated, they are valid for 24 hours straight and this means that you can use this same pin-code for 1 day.
Picking up the Bike
- Choose Bikes from the screen on the Home View in the app
Fig. 1 Whim Home view
- You can see the locations of the bike stations and available bikes from the Whim app.
- You can take a bike from any bike station where there are bikes available.
- To get your cyclist ID and PIN code, choose a station and tap Select bike and confirm.
- You can see your personal cyclist ID and a PIN code in the app.
- The ID and the code are valid for 24 hours.
- To get on the road with the bike, enter your cyclist ID and PIN code to the bike station, check the bike number from the screen of the bike station, take the bike, and jump on the saddle.
Returning the Bike
- Bikes can be returned at any bike station where there are empty spaces. You can see the number of empty spaces in stations from the app by choosing “returning the bike” from the left upper corner of the map in the bike menu.
- Place the bike in a lock with a solid green light until the light starts blinking. Wait until the light is solid green again and ensure the bike is properly locked and remember to check out by entering your cyclist ID and PIN code to the screen of the bike station and wait until you see "Bike has been returned correctly” on the screen.
- Please note that you always have to return the bike in a lock with a green light. Otherwise, the bike cannot be properly locked and you may have to pay extra costs.
- You remain responsible for a bike until it has been returned correctly.
- If the station is full and there are no empty locks, enter your codes to the screen of the bike station and you will see on the screen in which nearby stations there are still places available. You also get 15 minutes of extra time to return your bike to another station. (Remember that you can also check the number of empty spaces in stations from the app.)
- If there are problems with using or returning the bike, contact Velo customer care at +32(0)3 206 50 30 or email email@example.com.
- After the bike is successfully returned, you should also see an "expired ticket" in the Whim app's “All Tickets” or from your profile’s “Past Trips” view as shown below.
Fig 2. Active tickets view
- If you notice a defect on a bike after you have just taken it, replace the bike in the station within 3 minutes. Enter your codes again and take another bike. Whenever you notice a defect on a bike, turn the saddle, in order to notify other users and Velo technicians.
- Age limit 16 years (stated in the Velo terms & conditions).
- More information:https://www.velo-antwerpen.be/en/faq