With Whim you can now use Voi e-Scooters in Helsinki and Turku. This article explains the following:
- Guide to using Voi e-Scooters
- Rider requirements
- Pricing for Whim users
- Possible extra fees
- Questions and Answers
Guide to using Voi e-Scooters
Renting an e-Scooter:
- Open the Whim Home view in the app and choose Scooters.
- You can see available e-Scooters and their locations in the Whim app.
- Either unlock a scooter via QR code (scanning or entering code):
- Select the correct type of e-Scooter (Voi or TIER) you are planning to take.
- Point your camera at the QR code on the scooter's handlebar to unlock it.
- You can also type in the e-Scooter ID to unlock the scooter.
- If you have trouble seeing the QR code for example in the dark, you can use the in-app flashlight function.
- Or unlock a scooter by selecting specific e-Scooter on the map:
- Unlock the e-Scooter by selecting a scooter on the map and tap "unlock scooter".
- This function lets you unlock the e-Scooter from up to 400 m away.
- Take a look at the instructions for a safe ride shown on your screen.
- See price details and confirm the booking.
- 5€ will be reserved (pre-authorized) on your credit card to cover the price of your trip.
- Once your e-Scooter is unlocked, its lights and the display turn on.
- Start rolling!
Note! E-scooters cannot be used during weekend nights between 00.00-05.00 in Helsinki.
During the ride:
- Push 3 times with your foot to start rolling, then press the “Go-button” to accelerate.
- Use bike lanes, stay out of the way of pedestrians and cars, control your speed, obey traffic laws, be smart and wear a helmet.
- You can ride as long as you want until the e-Scooter runs out of battery (you can see battery level in Whim) and as long as you stay within the Voi operational zone.
- If you try to ride outside the “operational zone” your e-Scooter will come to a halt.
- If your e-Scooter stands still for approx. 10 min in a valid parking spot, your ride will automatically be ended. You will not be fined.
- If your e-Scooter stands still for approx. 1 h in an invalid parking spot, your ride will be ended. If this is the first time, you will not be fined. For subsequent times you will be charged 25€ on top of the price of your ride.
Ending your ride:
- Make sure you are inside the operational area. If you’re unsure, check the map in Whim.
- Check that you are not standing in a “No Parking Area”. These are the red areas on the map.
- Make sure to put the scooter neatly out of the way for pedestrians and other vehicles. This means no blocking of cars, doors, gates or sidewalks.
- Once you’ve found a suitable parking spot for your scooter, open Whim and swipe to “End ride”.
- The price of the ride and the activation fee will be charged. You can see the details of your ride in Whim.
How to report a problem:
- Contact Whim customer care via in-app Help Center or online.
- Age limit: 18 years
- Weight limit: 100 kg (incl. items you might be carrying)
Pricing for Whim users
Activation fee: €1
Minute fee: €0.22
Prices may differ depending on the city.
(Note: For information of the Voi 30/60 minute packages please click here.)
Possible extra fees
You may be charged 25€ on top of your activation and minute fees if you drive outside of the Voi business area or leave an e-Scooter outside the business area or to an invalid parking spot.
Questions and Answers
- Can I pay for my Voi e-Scooter trip using in-app credit?
- Do I need to have a driver’s license to use a Voi e-Scooter?
- Is there an age limit to use a Voi e-Scooter?
- Does Voi provide insurance for using an e-Scooter?
- Can I rent a Voi e-Scooter for my friend?
- Do I need to wear a helmet when using a Voi e-Scooter?
- Is there a time limit for using a Voi e-Scooter?
- Where can I park a Voi e-Scooter?
- Where can I find more information about Voi e-Scooters?
Can I pay for my Voi e-Scooter trip using in-app credit?
Yes, you can pay for a Voi trip with in-app credit, if you have enough credit available to cover the cost of the whole trip. If you don’t have enough in-app credit to cover the cost of the whole trip, the price of the trip will be charged from your payment card that has been added to your Whim profile.
Do I need to have a driver’s license to use a Voi e-Scooter?
In Finland, you do not need to have a driver’s license in order to drive a Voi e-Scooter. However, you are required to have minimum driving skills and knowledge of local traffic rules and regulations.
Is there an age limit to use a Voi e-Scooter?
Yes, you must be a minimum of 18 years old to use Voi e-Scooters.
Does Voi provide insurance for using an e-Scooter?
Voi does not provide liability insurance to users in Finland.
Can I rent a Voi e-Scooter for my friend?
No, unfortunately you are not allowed to rent a Voi e-Scooter for a friend. Your account is for personal use only. If your friend wishes to use Voi e-Scooters they may easily do so by downloading Whim!
Do I need to wear a helmet when using a Voi e-Scooter?
You are not required to wear a helmet when using a Voi e-Scooter in Finland, but we highly recommend this to keep yourself safe.
Is there a time limit for using a Voi e-Scooter?
You can ride as long as you want until the e-Scooter runs out of battery and as long as you stay within the Voi zone (if you try to ride outside the “operational zone” your scooter will come to a halt).
Where can I park a Voi e-Scooter?
You will need to park your Voi e-Scooter within the Voi operational area and to ensure that you are not in a “No Parking Area”. We ask you to make sure to put the scooter neatly out of the way for pedestrians and other vehicles. This means that you should not be blocking cars, doors, gates or sidewalks.
Where can I find more information about Voi e-Scooters?
For more information about Voi e-Scooters, please see https://www.voiscooters.com/faq/.