In this article, we explain how to use public transportation with Whim in the Helsinki metropolitan area.
- New HSL zones and ticket options
- Use HSL tickets with different Whim subscriptions
- Steps of using HSL single tickets with Whim
- Steps of using HSL 30-day ticket with Whim
- Questions and answers
New HSL Zones and ticket options
HSL zone renewal (Pic.1) took place on the 27th of April at 04:30. The old travel zones based on municipal boundaries were replaced by new zones. The zones are identified by the letters A, B, C, and D.(Pic.2)
(Pic.1) Source: HSL New zones
(Pic.2) New zones in Whim app
For more information about the pricing of the public transportation tickets, please visit here: Whim Plans in the Capital Region.
Using HSL tickets with different Whim plans
As a Whim customer, you may use HSL public transportation service - bus, metro, tram, commuter trains, Suomenlinna ferry - in the HSL region, including Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa, Kauniainen, Kerava, Kirkkonummi, Sipoo, Siuntio, and Tuusula.
With our pay-per-ride option, Whim to Go, you may purchase HSL single tickets via the app whenever needed for a fee.
With our Whim Unlimited plan, you may issue and activate free-of-charge an unlimited number* of single tickets as part of your plan.
With our Whim Urban 30 plan, the HSL 30-day ticket is included. You may still purchase HSL single tickets in the app whenever needed.
* Note: Whim Unlimited subscribers can have only one activated ticket at a time for free, additional tickets available for a normal price.
Steps for using HSL single tickets
1. The Whim app recognizes your location and suggests the best ticket option.
2. You can activate or buy tickets from the Journey planner* (Pic.1) in the Home view or quickly from the Whim button.
* Note: When you buy a ticket through the Journey planner, your ticket will be activated 5-10 minutes before your vehicle is scheduled to leave. When you buy a ticket through the Whim button, it will be activated immediately.
(Pic.1) Journey planner view
3. Choose the ticket you need (AB, BC, ABC, etc.) and confirm the ticket activation/purchase. (Pic.2)
(Pic.2) Ticket option view
4. You can find all your active tickets and validity information from the Ticket view. (Pic. 3)
(Pic.3) Active tickets in the Ticket view.
5. When traveling by bus, press the active ticket and show it to the driver. (Pic.4)
(Pic. 4) HSL mobile ticket
6. Should an inspector request it, press Ticket inspection and show it to the inspector. (Pic.5)
(Pic.5) Ticket inspector view
Steps for using the HSL 30-day ticket
1. You will find the ticket and validity information in the Ticket view; the ticket is valid for 30 days of traveling in the chosen area. With the HSL-30 day ticket, it is no longer necessary to activate it before each trip: it is always “on”. (Pic.6)
(Pic.6) Active tickets in the Ticket view.
2. When boarding a bus simply show the ticket to the driver. (Pic.7)
(Pic.7) HSL mobile ticket
3. When traveling with other modes, you need to show the ticket when requested by a conductor or a ticket inspector. (Pic.8)
(Pic.8) Ticket inspector view
Questions and answers
Is GPS required while using public transport in Whim?
Yes. GPS should always be enabled whenever using the Whim app. Without it, the service may be impaired.
For Whim Urban 30 users, it is not necessary to have GPS enabled if only traveling within the selected region/area. However, we still recommend keeping GPS enabled whenever using the Whim app.
Do I have to activate the public transport tickets each time before boarding a vehicle or entering the Metro platform area after having passed the Travel Card readers?
As a Whim to Go and Whim Unlimited customer*, you must make sure the HSL single tickets are activated before boarding a vehicle or entering the Metro platform area after having passed the Travel Card readers (Pic.9). Please note that if a passenger is not able to produce a valid ticket, he or she will be charged a penalty fare of 80 euros and the price of a single (or value) ticket.
As a Whim Urban 30 customer, you do not need to activate it before each trip.
(Pic.9) Make sure to activate the ticket before passing the Travel Card readers
What do I do if my phone runs out of battery?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to verify the validity of the ticket with the phone number or the identity code after the zone change. Please ensure your device has ample power for the duration of your entire trip.
As a Whim Unlimited customer, why do I get charged for the second ticket issued in the app?
Your Whim plan includes either internal or regional public transport tickets. When your plan is active, your first ticket is included in your plan, in case you travel with someone else you may purchase a second ticket through the app for them. After your first free ticket expires you will be able to activate a new one.
How do I know the zones I need to pay for?
When the new zones are in use, you can easily check which ticket you need from the Journey Planner in the Whim app. If you have any questions regarding choosing the ticket to your Whim Urban 30 subscription, please contact Whim customer care.
How do I travel to HSL zones that are outside the zones covered by the 30-day HSL ticket in my plan?
When traveling to HSL zones outside the zones covered by your 30-day HSL ticket, you may buy the appropriate single ticket covering the necessary zones.
Currently, we do not support zone extension tickets with Whim Urban 30. This is a technical issue which is being addressed as quickly as possible. Regardless, if you wish to travel outside your zone just let us know and we will ensure that you are not negatively impacted. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.
Should you require further assistance in the matter, you may reach out to the Whim Customer Care team in-app: Profile > Help Center > Contact Us.