In this article, we explain how to use public transportation with Whim in the Helsinki metropolitan area.
- Use HSL tickets with different Whim subscriptions
- How to use HSL single tickets with Whim
- How to use HSL 30-day ticket with Whim
- How to purchase zone extension ticket
- Frequently asked questions and answers
Using HSL tickets with different Whim plans
As a Whim customer, you may use HSL public transportation service - bus, metro, tram, commuter trains, Suomenlinna ferry - in the HSL region, including Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa, Kauniainen, Kerava, Kirkkonummi, Sipoo, Siuntio, and Tuusula.
With our pay-per-ride option, Whim to Go, you may purchase HSL single tickets via the app whenever needed for a fee.
With our Whim Unlimited plan, you may issue and activate free-of-charge an unlimited number* of single tickets as part of your plan.
With our Whim Urban 30 plan, the HSL 30-day ticket is included. You may still purchase HSL single tickets in the app whenever needed.
* Note: Whim Unlimited subscribers can have only one activated ticket at a time for free, additional tickets available for a normal price.
Steps for using HSL single tickets
1. The Whim app recognizes your location and suggests the best ticket option.
2. You can activate or buy tickets from the Journey planner* (Pic.3) in the Home view or quickly from the Whim button.
* Note: When you buy a ticket through the Journey planner, your ticket will be activated 5-10 minutes before your vehicle is scheduled to leave. When you buy a ticket through the Whim button, it will be activated immediately.
(Pic.3) Journey planner view
3. Choose the ticket you need (AB, BC, ABC, etc.) or 1-7 day ticket, and confirm the ticket activation/purchase. (Pic.4)
(Pic.4) Ticket option view
4. You can find all your active tickets and validity information from the Ticket view. (Pic. 5)
(Pic.5) Active tickets in the Ticket view.
5. When traveling by bus, press the active ticket in green and show the ticket to the driver.
6. Should an inspector request it, press Ticket inspection and show it to the inspector.
Steps for using the HSL 30-day ticket
1. You will find the ticket and validity information in the Ticket view; the ticket is valid for 30 days of traveling in the chosen area. With the HSL-30 day ticket, it is no longer necessary to activate it before each trip: it is always “on”. (Pic.6)
(Pic.6) Active tickets in the Ticket view.
2. When boarding a bus, press the green ticket as shown above, and simply show the ticket to the driver.
3. Should an inspector request it, press Ticket inspection and show it to the inspector.
Steps of purchasing zone extension ticket
With a valid 30-day ticket, you can purchase zone extension tickets by pressing Zone extension in the ticket drop-down list (Pic.7).
(Pic.7) Ticket drop-down list
Questions and answers
- Is GPS required while using public transport in Whim?
- Do I have to activate the public transport tickets each time before boarding a vehicle or entering the Metro platform area after having passed the Travel Card readers?
- What do I do if my phone runs out of battery?
- As a Whim Unlimited customer, why do I get charged for the second ticket issued in the app?
- I have a valid HSL 30-day ticket, but I cannot see it in-app. What can I do?
- How do I know the zones I need to pay for?
- How do I travel to HSL zones that are outside the zones covered by the 30-day HSL ticket in my plan?
- I accidentally bought the wrong single/day ticket. Can I get my money back?
- I bought the wrong 30-day ticket within my Whim Urban 30/Whim Weekend plan. What can I do?
- Can I have an HSL 30-day ticket in the Whim app and the HSL app at the same time?
- Can I use Whim in Järvenpää?
- Can I purchase the zone extension tickets in Whim app?
- Can I use HSL Park & Ride with HSL mobile tickets bought through Whim?
Is GPS required while using public transport in Whim?
Yes. GPS should always be enabled whenever using the Whim app. Without it, the service may be impaired.
For Whim Urban 30 users, it is not necessary to have GPS enabled if only traveling within the selected region/area. However, we still recommend keeping GPS enabled whenever using the Whim app.
Do I have to activate the public transport tickets each time before boarding a vehicle or entering the Metro platform area after having passed the Travel Card readers?
As a Whim to Go and Whim Unlimited customer*, you must make sure the HSL single tickets are activated before boarding a vehicle or entering the Metro platform area after having passed the Travel Card readers (Pic.9). Please note that if a passenger is not able to produce a valid ticket, he or she will be charged a penalty fare of 80 euros and the price of a single (or value) ticket.
As a Whim Urban 30 customer, you do not need to activate it before each trip.
(Pic.9) Make sure to activate the ticket before passing the Travel Card readers
What do I do if my phone runs out of battery?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to verify the validity of the ticket with the phone number or the identity code after the zone change. Your phone must have sufficient battery charge throughout your journey. Ticket inspectors may charge a penalty fare if your ticket cannot be checked on your phone.
As a Whim Unlimited customer, why do I get charged for the second ticket issued in the app?
Your Whim plan includes either internal or regional public transport tickets. When your plan is active, your first ticket is included in your plan, in case you travel with someone else you may purchase a second ticket through the app for them. After your first free ticket expires you will be able to activate a new one.
I have a valid HSL 30-day ticket, but I cannot see it in-app. What can I do?
The disappearance of a 30-day is often caused by switching devices. Kindly note that the Whim subscription can only be used in one device at a time.
If your ticket disappears, kindly log out, update the app to the newest version and log in again.
If the steps mentioned above do not work, kindly contact Whim Customer Care via the in-app help center.
How do I know the zones I need to pay for?
When the new zones are in use, you can easily check which ticket you need from the Journey Planner in the Whim app. If you have any questions regarding choosing the ticket to your Whim Urban 30 subscription, please contact Whim customer care.
I accidentally bought the wrong single/day ticket. Can I get my money back?
Unfortunately, incorrectly purchased single and day tickets are not refundable.
I bought the wrong 30-day ticket within my Whim Urban 30/Whim Weekend plan. What can I do?
If you have chosen the wrong 30-day ticket, you must contact our customer care within two business days of the purchase. The wrong ticket will be canceled, and the price of the subscription will be automatically returned to your payment card. You will be charged for the value of the days you have used, and a processing fee of 6 euros will be assessed for eligible refunds.
Can I have an HSL 30-day ticket in the Whim app and the HSL app at the same time?
No, it is not possible to have valid 30-day tickets in the Whim app and the HSL app at the same time, because a person only has one personal ticket at a time.
Can I use Whim in Järvenpää?
Unfortunately at the moment, HSL does not yet have a contract with Järvenpää. Due to this, the Whim app does not yet have the public transportation option via the Whim Wheel when you locate in Järvenpää. Once HSL and Järvenpää make a contract, you will be able to purchase HSL tickets also in the area.
Can I purchase the zone extension tickets in Whim app?
As Whim Urban 30 customer, you can inexpensively expand your travel area by buying a zone extension ticket.
Below you can find zone extension ticket prices (valid until 31.12.2019):
- Additional A, B or C zone - 2,50 €
- Additional AB, BC or D zone - 2,80 €
- Additional CD zone - 4,20 €
- Additional ABC zone - 4,60 €
Zone extension ticket prices from 01.01.2020 onwards:
Can I use HSL Park & Ride with HSL mobile tickets bought through Whim?
Mobile tickets are currently accepted in Leppävaara parking facilities (Leppäpolku 1, Linnatullinkatu 2 and Leppävaarankatu 3), Matinkylä, Niittykumpu, Urheilupuisto, Tapiola, Ruoholahti, Kalasatama and Myllypuro (by the metro), Martinlaakso and Malmi (by the train lines) and Laajasalo. HSL is planning to expand this across all their Park & Ride facilities near railway and metro stations by 2020.
Park & Ride facilities are designed for public transport users. The parking areas are located close to public transport stops and stations. You can leave your car at a Park & Ride and continue by Metro, train, bus or tram. Park & Ride facilities are for commuter parking and the maximum parking time at most sites is 12 or 24 hours.
If you have an HSL ticket (season, single or day ticket), you can use Park & Ride for free, or for a fee of a few euros.
To use your mobile HSL ticket for park & ride in Leppävaara see the following steps:
- Open the ticket inspector view.
- Scan the QR code to the QR code reader (the little black box on the left) by holding your phone screen about 5cm from the reader.
- When the QR code is scanned, the parking meter screen will show you the Park & Ride pricing.
- In some parking facilities you need to pay for your parking in advance, always follow the instructions on the parking meter.
- Place your parking ticket inside your windscreen for the duration of parking.
- When leaving, insert your parking ticket into the payment machine and pay your parking. Use the ticket you get from the machine to exit the car park.