With Whim you can now use shared Poppy electric charged scooters in Antwerp. This article explains the following:
- How to use shared Poppy scooters
- Renting a scooter
- During your ride
- Ending your ride
- Customer Requirements
- Fees for using Poppy e-scooters
- Questions and Answers
How to use shared Poppy e-scooters
Renting a scooter:
Tap the scooter icon in the app to access the view to search for Scooters.
- You can see available scooters and their locations in the Whim app.
- Unlock scooter by selecting specific scooter on the map:
- Unlock the scooter by selecting a scooter on the map and tap "unlock scooter".
- This function lets you unlock the scooter from up to 100m away.
- Take a look at the instructions for a safe ride shown on your screen.
- See price details and confirm the booking.
- 5€ will be reserved (pre-authorized) on your credit card.
- Once your scooter is unlocked, its lights and the display turn on.
- Start rolling!
During your ride:
- Push 3 times with your foot to start rolling, then press the “Go-button”(1) to accelerate, Push the green button to gain speed.To brake use the brake levers gently. The left handle(2) operates the back brake and the right handle(3) operates the front brake (makes sense to add here anyhow the info on how to break)
- You can use the bicycle path to drive on. If there’s no bike path, you are allowed to drive on the right side of the public road. You can also ride on the pavement, but only at 6 km/h.
- You can ride as long as you want until the scooter runs out of battery (you can see battery level in Whim) and as long as you stay within the Poppy operational zone. There is no max. ride time limit for Poppy scooters.
Ending your ride:
- Make sure you are inside the operational area. If you’re unsure, check the map in Whim.
- Check that you are not standing in a “No Parking Area”. These are the red areas on the map.
- Park your scooter properly. You can leave it on the pavement, but as close to the façade as possible and parallel to it.
- Don’t park on the roadway and ensure that the parked scooter doesn’t block traffic for other road users (including pedestrians).
- Once you’ve found a suitable parking spot for your scooter, open Whim and swipe to “End ride”.
- Rides < 1 minute will not be charged.
- The price of the ride and the activation fee will be charged. You can see the details of your ride in Whim.
- Whim user’s location is shared with Poppy when finishing the booking. This means that you cannot rent an e-scooter for a friend since you will not be able to end the ride for them.
- You need to be 18+.
- Max load/weight: 125 kg incl. items you are carrying
- Max height: 200 cm
- You can’t take another passenger on your scooter.
- You can only ride in the Poppy zone (operational zone).
- Ending ride:
- parking the scooter correctly on the designated stand;
- not leaving any personal property in or on the Vehicle (Poppy is not liable for any loss or theft of personal property); and
- leaving the scooter clean (no rubbish, soil or excessive dirt on the Vehicle.
- No driver's license required.
Fees for using Poppy e-scooters:
Unlock fee: € 1.00
Usage fee: € 0.25/ started minute
Other administrative costs:
Processing of traffic/parking offences: € 20
- Lost or stolen e-scooter due to negligence of the Authorized Driver: € 500 excl. VAT
- Processing of criminal (traffic) offences: € 150
- Processing of damages and accidents: € 50
- Reparking of wrongly parked vehicles: € 50
- Processing of towing costs of vehicles in case of wrongly parked vehicle, battery drainage, or fuel drainage: € 25
- Towing costs of vehicles in case of wrongly parked vehicle, battery drainage, or fuel drainage: as invoiced by the towing company + € 50 reparking fee
- Late fee reminders: € 5 for first reminder, € 15 for second reminder
- Battery drainage: € 50 + € 50 pick-up fee
- Intentionally blocking a Poppy vehicle (private parking, driveway, parking of a store,..): € 90 / 24h + € 50 reparking of wrongly parked vehicles fee.
- Taking a e-scooter outside of the Poppy kick scooter zone: € 25 + € 50 in case of pick-up.
Questions and Answers
Can I pay for my Poppy e-scooter trip using in-app credit?
Yes, paying for your trip with in-app credit is possible, if you have enough in-app credit on your Whim account to cover the whole cost of the trip. If you do not have enough in-app credit to cover the cost of the whole trip, the price of the trip will be charged from the payment card registered to your Whim profile.
Are Poppy e-scooters available all year round?
Yes, Poppy e-scooters are available all year round. However, e-scooter availability is weather dependent and to ensure your safety Poppy may take the scooters off road temporarily, when the weather conditions are challenging (e.g. bad weather conditions).
Do I need to have a driver’s license to use a Poppy e-scooter?
You do not need to have a driver’s license in order to drive a Poppy e-scooter. However, you are required to have minimum driving skills and knowledge of local traffic rules and regulations.
Is there an age limit to use a Poppy e-scooter?
Yes, you need to be 18 years old in order to drive a Poppy e-scooter.
Does Poppy provide insurance for using an e-scooter?
Yes, there is a third party liability and injury insurance.
Can I rent a Poppy e-scooter for my friend?
This is not allowed, Poppy rentals are meant for the app holder only, it is forbidden to rent a e-scooter for a friend. In the case you are going around the town with a friend it is suggested that your friend downloads Whim also to enjoy the city on a Whim.
Do I need to wear a helmet when using a Poppy e-scooter?
This is not mandatory, however, if you wish to use your own helmet then this is recommended for your own safety.
Can I ride a Poppy e-scooter on a walkway?
Yes, as long as you don’t ride the e-scooter faster than 6km/hr.
Is there a time limit for using a Poppy e-scooter?
There is no time limit for using the e-scooters, you may use them as long as the battery lasts..
Where can I park a Poppy e-scooter?
You can park the e-scooter only in the specified parking zones within the center of the city.