This article covers the different Whim plans that are offered in the Helsinki capital region. Presented below is the main information that will be found in this article:
Introduction to Whim plans
Whim plans are the world's first multi-mode mobility solution. They facilitate travel with different modes of transportation via a subscription plan from a single mobile app. Whim is a convenient way to book and pay for HSL mobile single tickets (bus, metro, tram, commuter trains, Suomenlinna ferry) in the HSL Region (Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa, Kauniainen, Kerava, Kirkkonummi, Sipoo, Siuntio and Tuusula), taxi rides, and rental cars from multiple taxi and car operators. You can buy a ticket quickly or plan your route first and then pay directly in Whim.
The different Whim plans offered
Here is a brief description of what the plans are, what they include and who their target audience is:
Below are the current Whim plans (Fig.1) which are offered in the Helsinki capital region.
(Fig.1) Different Whim Plans
Whim Urban 30: €62
This plan is suitable for regular travellers who could use the occasional flexibility of a taxi or car. With this plan, you will get the following:
- Different options for HSL 30-day tickets that a customer can choose from depending on the municipality (zones) they live in.
- Unlimited 30-minute trips with city bikes with Helsinki & Espoo City bikes once the season starts (Vantaa not included)
- Unprecedented flexibility and comfort of €10 taxis within a 5km radius
- Affordable rental cars starting from €49/day and includes unlimited kilometres.
(Fig. 2) 30-day ticket prices
As a Whim Urban 30 customer, your subscription will be automatically converted according to the following table on the 27th of April at 04:30. As seen in the pictures below, the new zones The zones are identified by the letters A, B, C, and D. Depending on the area you live and travel in, you can choose a 30-day ticket type that is most suitable for you from the different ticket options available.
Please note that in zones A, B and C, you need an AB or BC ticket, depending on the area you travel in and only in zone D can you buy a one-zone ticket.
(Fig. 3) 30-day ticket options (Fig.4) New HSL ticket options in-app
(Fig.5) HSL division of zones
Whim Unlimited: €499
This offers a modern alternative to owning a car. For the price of owning a car, you get unlimited access to public transport, taxi or a car according to your needs. The plan includes:
- Unlimited internal tickets, which can be used internally either in zones AB or BC. Only the first active ticket is included in the package. Additional overlapping tickets and regional tickets are available on demand and may also be acquired as a chargeable period add-on.
- Unlimited access to basic rental vehicles for up to 30 days at a time. The second driver is included and upgrade option also available.
- We offer unlimited taxi rides within a 5-km radius of your location. For rides beyond a 5-km radius of your current location, standard pricing will apply.
- Unlimited amount of 30-minute bike rides. If you want to use a bike longer than 30 minutes at a time, it is possible for an additional charge.
(Fig.6) Prices for Whim Unlimited zone add-ons
Whim urban and Whim unlimited both include access to ALD car sharing.
This is a new pilot on Whim only for Urban and Unlimited customers. ALD cars can be picked from EuroPark’s P.CityForum parking hall. To register form the ALD car sharing, the Whim customer just needs to send photos of both sides of the driver's licence in the App’s Helpcenter.
- The first 2 hours each day are included in your Unlimited subscription
- Rides over 2 hours are charged per 30 minutes (€5/30 mins, up to €89/day)
- For Whim urban, the first 2 hours of car use per day is 22€. After the first 2 hours, (€5/30 mins, up to €89/day)
- Fuel is included
Whim to Go: €0
This plan is suitable for those who want to try Whim first before committing to a subscription with a recurring fee or those that simply don’t travel that much. This plan does not have a recurring fee. You can easily pay per ride without commitment or surcharges. On a pay-as-you-go basis, can also purchase the following tickets (fig.7 ) on standard pricing (Fig.7 ) Different zones and prices
For more information about the whim plans, please check here
Questions and answers
- How do I know which ticket I need for my journey?
- What are the prices of single and extension HSL tickets?
- Where can I get information about the Whim Urban 30 plan?
- Can I change my plan and how do I do this?
- Can I cancel my plan after it has renewed?
- I am not a resident of the HSL area, can I subscribe to the Whim plans?
- Can I buy the Whim Urban 30 plan even if my 30-day ticket is currently active in HSL app?
- Can I pause my Whim plan?
- What is a "Car Subscription"?
- The daily car rental rate under Whim Urban is 49€, what is the price impact if I rent for multiple days?
- Can I still use a taxi if I am also renting a car as an Unlimited user?
- What if my taxi ride falls beyond the 5-km radius from my current location?
- Can I use City bike with Whim in Helsinki, Espoo and Vantaa?
How do I know which ticket I need for my journey?
Soon you can use the route planner on the App to plan your journeys. It will show you the zones and also the ticket type you will need for your journey.
For the time being, you can directly check HSL journey planner for the new zones to know more about the new zones and type of ticket you need for your journey. From the link above, you can also check which ticket you will need depending on the area you live in and also see in which zones different places are located.
What are the prices of single and extension HSL tickets?
You can buy both single tickets and extension tickets through the Whim app. Whim Urban and Unlimited customers with 30-day tickets can easily buy additional tickets, i.e for friends or when they need an extension ticket to travel to another zone. Zone ticket prices for adults and can be found in (Fig. 8) below.
(Fig.8) HSL single ticket and Zone extension prices
Where can I get information about the Whim urban 30 plan?
For more information about the whim plans, please check here
Can I change my plan and how do I do this?
Yes, you can. You are allowed to change your plan at any time. However, be aware that any changes made to the plan will only take effect at the end of the current billing period.
To change your plan, you need to go to the “Profile” view in the app, choose “My plan”, and “Change”. Here you may also select any available add-ons by tapping on customize plan, e.g., regional public transit, and activate those (for a fee).
Can I cancel my plan after it has renewed?
Unfortunately, you cannot. All cancellations should be done before the automatic renewal date. Changes made after the renewal date or time will only take effect at the end of the current (or the just renewed) billing cycle.
I am not a resident of the HSL area, can I subscribe to the Whim plans?
If you are not a resident of one of the municipalities included in the HSL area, unfortunately, you are not eligible for Whim Urban 30.
If you are currently a Whim Urban customer, you may still continue to use the plan until 27.4 when the HSL zone renewal takes place. Starting from 27.4, the current Whim Urban plan with unlimited interval single tickets will discontinue and will instead become Whim Urban 30 plan and include the much requested HSL-30 day ticket. For this reason, the old single ticket based Whim Urban plan will only continue to renew until 15.4. After that, all customers will be requested to transition to the new Whim Urban 30.
Can I buy the Whim Urban 30 plan even if my 30-day ticket is currently active in HSL app?
Unfortunately no. You will need to wait until the 30-day ticket in HSL app is expired, then you can buy the 30-day ticket through Whim.
Can I pause my Whim plan?
Unfortunately, you cannot pause the Whim plan. Please make sure prior to the renewal that you have opted out from the plan, for the plan cannot be discontinued after the renewal.
You can do this by going to the Profile view > My Plan > Change > choose Whim to Go and Subscribe until you get the notification that your plan will change.
What is a "Car Subscription"?
A Whim Car Subscription provides access to cars for a recurring fee. This is another option for longer-term car use again without the hassle of outright car ownership. For more details, please read (Link)
*Note: The Whim car subscription is only available on the Whim Urban plan.
The daily car rental rate under Whim Urban is 49€, what is the price impact if I rent for multiple days?
The Whim Urban plans daily car rental rate is a fixed rate and will not change according to the number of days a car would be rented. Another option is to sign up for a recurring Whim Car subscription (available only on Whim Urban). This might lead to a slight reduction in the daily rate.
Can I still use a taxi if I am also renting a car as an Unlimited user?
According to our fair use approach, before starting a rental and after ending a rental, taxi rides will be free-of-charge within a 5-km radius of your current location. During the rental period, however, all taxi rides taken will be chargeable.
What if my taxi ride falls beyond the 5-km radius from my current location?
Taxi rides may, of course, be taken outside of the 5-km radius of one's current location. In this case, all Whim Urban and Unlimited customers are impacted similarly, i.e., standard pricing will apply.
Please be informed that because the 5km/€10 fixed price is intended only for short trips, chaining under 5km taxi rides to reach a destination beyond the 5km threshold is not allowed.
Can I use City bike with Whim in Helsinki, Espoo and Vantaa?
City bikes are available via Whim when the season starts in spring (actual start date is dependent on the weather). The City bikes become visible on the App closer to the start of the season.
At the moment, only Helsinki and Espoo city bikes are included in the Whim.
Unfortunately, Vantaa city bikes are not yet included in Whim. The reason is that Vantaa city bikes have a different technical solution, and we don’t have integration for it just yet.