This article covers information about Wiener Linien and how one can use it via the Whim App. Presented below is the main information that will be found in this article:
- Wiener Linien
- How to buy a Wiener Linien ticket through Whim
- Ticket inspections
- Questions and Answers
Wiener Linien is Vienna’s public transport operator and is responsible for 180 underground, tram and bus lines.
The city of Vienna accounts for one full zone or core zone (Kernzone or "Zone 100"). The core zone of Vienna comprises all lines within Vienna (train, Badner Bahn, bus, tram, underground and most regional bus lines). For more information, please visit Here.
How to buy a Wiener Linien ticket through Whim
Choose Public Transport from the Whim wheel. The Whim app recognizes your location when you are buying a ticket and suggests ticket options for you. When you buy a ticket through the Whim wheel, it will be activated immediately.
You can also buy tickets with Whim using the Journey planner. When you buy a ticket through the Journey planner, your ticket will be activated 5-10 minutes before your vehicle is scheduled to leave.
(Fig. 1) Whim Wheel View
(Fig. 2) Plan journey view (Fig. 3) Suggested routes view
The app will offer you a variety of ticket options to choose from (Fig. 4). From the options provided, you can choose the ticket type most convenient for you.
(Fig. 4) Ticket options view
To buy the ticket, you simply click on the ticket option you would like and confirm the order by making the payment (Fig. 5). Ticket will be generated immediately or 5 minutes prior to the start of the journey if you bought it using the journey planner.
(Fig. 5) Confirm Payment
You can find all your active tickets and check their validity through the Tickets menu (Fig. 6). From tickets view, you can also see the expired tickets that you have bought in the past. By tapping an active ticket, you can open the ticket view (Fig. 7).
(Fig. 6)Active tickets view (Fig. 7) Wiener Linien ticket view
You can switch vehicles freely while the ticket is valid and you’re travelling inside the ticket’s region.
- When travelling by bus, underground, tram or city train, you need to show the ticket from your phone when you meet a conductor/ticket inspector. You should also carry a photo ID with you to be able to prove your identity to the inspector.
- Wiener Linien passengers require a valid ticket before beginning their journey on public transport so please remember to buy your mobile ticket before starting your journey.
- The customer is responsible for making sure that they have enough battery left in their phone as the inspectors have no other way of verifying that the user has a valid ticket.
- If a person is caught without a ticket and immediately pays the fine of EUR 105.00, then this person does not need to show any ID. If the passenger would like to pay the fine by means of a paying-in slip, however, they must show ID to the Wiener Linien inspector and the fine amounts to EUR 115.00, due within 14 days. If they refuse to show ID, the police will have to be called and the fine rises to EUR 145.00.
Questions and answers:
- What modes of public transport can I access with Whim?
- What are the types of tickets available through Whim and their pricing?
- Can I cancel a ticket once it has been bought?
- Can I buy a ticket when I have already boarded a public transport vehicle?
- Am I allowed to eat on Wiener Linien public transport?
- Am I allowed to take my bike with me on public transport?
- Am I allowed to take my dog with me on public transport?
- Where can I find Wiener Linien frequently asked questions?
What modes of public transport can I access with Whim?
You can access public transport with Whim in Vienna (within the city borders). With Whim, you can travel with:
- Underground (U-Bahn)
- Bus (Autobus)
- S-Bahn (local trains) within the City borders
- Badner Bahn /Wiener Lokalbahn (trains, trams) within the city borders
Please note: Public Transport connection to Airport is not provided by Wiener Linien and therefore you cannot travel to and from the airport with these tickets. Wiener Linien tickets are not valid on airport buses, Westbahn trains, ÖBB trains, and the City Airport Train (CAT).
What are the types of ticket and their price?
Current we have 4 types of tickets available:
Ticket types available via Whim
Day ticket Vienna
Valid on all public transport in Vienna on the selected day until 1 A.M. on the following day. Not transferable.
24 hours Vienna
Valid on all public transport in Vienna for 24 hours from the stated date and time. Not transferable.
48 hours Vienna
Valid on all public transport in Vienna for 48 hours from the stated date and time. Not transferable.
72 hours Vienna
Valid on all public transport in Vienna for 72 hours from the stated date and time. Not transferable.
Can I cancel a ticket once it has been bought?
Unfortunately, once the ticket has been bought, it cannot be cancelled.
Can I buy a ticket when I have already boarded a public transport vehicle?
Unfortunately, you cannot. All tickets must be purchased before starting your journey. Wiener Linien rules are that all passengers require to have a valid ticket before beginning or entering on public transport.
Am I allowed to eat on Wiener Linien public transport?
Please be informed that since January 15th, 2019 eating is prohibited on all underground (U-Bahn) lines. However, drinking of non-alcoholic beverages is allowed. You may eat on buses and trams.
Am I allowed to take my bike with me on public transport?
You are permitted to take a bike on all underground (U-Bahn) lines from:
- Monday to Friday (workdays): 9:00 am to 3:00 pm and from 6:30 pm
- Saturday, Sunday and public holidays: no restrictions
It is never permitted to take bicycles on trams or buses for safety reasons (exception: collapsible bicycles).
For more information, please click Here
Am I allowed to take my dog with me on public transport?
For annual pass holders taking their dog on public transport is free of charge.
- Assistance dogs (guide dogs, service dogs, signal dogs) that are entered in a disability pass may also travel free of charge.
- In all other circumstances, dogs require a half-price ticket, i.e. a reduced-fare single ticket.
Unfortunately, this ticket is not yet available via Whim. In the meantime, please buy it via a Wiener Linien ticket machine, which can be found at every metro station.
For more information, please click Here
Where can I find Wiener Linien frequently asked questions?
For more information about the Wiener Linien Frequently asked questions, we kindly ask that you please check their website: Here.