With Whim, you can now use Poppy shared cars in Antwerp, Mechelen, and Brussels. In this article, you will learn how to use Poppy shared cars via Whim and other important information related.
- Book a car
- For 1st time bookings
- Before the booking starts
- Taking car into use
- Taking a break / Parking
- Ending the ride
- After the ride
- Problem scenarios
- What should I do if I can not book another car because the previous one has issues to be returned?
- What should I do if there is an issue with returning the car?
- What if there's a parking fine from a previous user on the windshield?
- Can the car be driven abroad?
- What if the user gets a traffic fine (from a traffic camera)?
- Can someone else drive the car than the person who booked it?
- What if the car runs out of battery/fuel?
Information on general usage of Poppy shared cars
Book a car
- Select Shared Cars in the home view (Pic.1)
2. Pick a car from the map (Pic. 2) and see car details, e.g., car range, car model, automatic/manual, car image, license plate.
For first time bookings
- An EU or UK driver’s license is required. (Note: unfortunately, the paper version of the driving license is not acceptable yet)
- You can only book a car once your data has been verified.
- Tap on verify to start the verification process.
- During the verification process, you need to conform to all the points required (Pic.3)
5. Take a photo of the front and the back of your driver’s license.
6. Take a selfie and make sure that your face is clearly visible and inside the frame.
7. You will be notified as soon as you have been verified. (Note: This will only take a couple of minutes in many cases. In some cases, however, it could take up to 24h for the verification. We apologize for the inconvenience)
8. Once you have been verified, you are ready to book a car. You’ll see pricing details (starting fee, minute price, etc.) in the payment view (Pic 4).
9. Confirm the payment. (Note: We will do a €0.50 pre-authorization of your payment card)
Before the booking starts
- After confirming the payment, the car is reserved for you for 15 min. (Note: If you arrive late, your reservation expires automatically if the car hasn’t been unlocked and you will not be charged.)
- If needed, report damage/cleanliness/other issues with the car to Whim customer care via an in-app message. Make sure to add a detailed description of the issue and take clear pictures.
Taking the car into use
- Once you’re close to the car (within 250m), slide to unlock it via the app. No keys are needed.
2. The first 60 seconds are free, so you can get accustomed to the car.
3. If there are any issues regarding cleanliness or damages, please report them to Whim customer care via an in-app message.
4. Additional drivers are not allowed.
- You can drive anywhere in Belgium.
- The maximum duration of your ride is 72 hours. If you keep the car for longer, you will be charged a late fee.
- 200km is included in the price.
- If you have booked an intercity car (SEAT IBIZA, OPEL CORSA & POLO) you can take the car where you want and leave the car in the following three zones: Mechelen, Brussels & Antwerp.
Taking a break / Parking
- Pause the ride by locking the car & tapping “park car”.
2. Check the map to see allowed/not allowed parking zones.
3. You can take a break/pause ride in and outside of the Poppy zone.
- Inside Poppy zone: Free parking at all public parking spaces in Antwerp, Mechelen & Brussels.
- Outside Poppy zone: You are responsible for all parking costs vb.
- For more info on where you can park, please check here.
Ending the ride
- Ending the ride is only possible inside the Operational zone in Antwerp and Brussels. Keep in mind that if you are outside of the Operation zones, you can’t end the trip.
- Turn off the engine, close all windows and doors.
- Get out of the car.
- Swipe to lock, report damage if needed, and tap “end booking”.
After the ride
- You will see a summary of your ride, including the final price and driven kilometers in Whim.
- You will receive a Whim receipt of your ride via email.
- Accident: please call 112 and then Poppy (+32 3 283 62 62)
- With minor damage, please contact Whim customer care via an in-app message. For more information about how to reach us, kindly check here.
- With major damage, please send an email with pictures to Poppy customer care (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call them (+32 3 283 62 62), and please inform Whim as well.
The prices are simple:
- € 1 unlock fee
- 0,39€/ minute: this price begins after unlocking your car and ends when you end the trip.
- 0,30€/minute: starts when you park your Poppy car and leave it, but that you wish to keep your trip. This way, nobody else can take your vehicle.
- 0,25€/extra kilometer: if you drive more than 200km during your trip. Every trip includes 200 free kilometers.
- 99€/24h in one trip. *
*Note: 200 km included in every trip. Starting from 200 km, you pay 0,25€ per extra. Make sure you keep the same vehicle for the entire session. You can pause it if necessary. If necessary, you can also refuel the car. Kindly send us the receipt via a Whim in-app message.
Dropping off and picking up a Poppy at the airport:
Poppy charges an extra fee to park at the airports of Brussels, Antwerp, or Charleroi. Fee for dropping off and picking up a Poppy at the airport:
- Brussels Airport: 15 euros
- Antwerp Airport: 5 euros
- Charleroi Airport : 30 euros
What is included in the price:
- Parking on public parking in Antwerp and Brussels is free.
- The fuel: the charging, the CNG, or the gasoline (E10)
- Omnium Insurance
- Maintenance of the car
- No registration or subscription costs
- No road tolls in Belgium
Insurance, excesses, and rules
The poppy insurance includes:
- Civil liability (third party liability)
- Legal expenses insurance
- Driver insurance
In case of an accident:
- If you caused an accident and you are the one at fault, you pay the maximum franchise: 1.500€ euros.
- If you are not at fault, you don’t pay anything at all!
Excess in case of an accident:
- Franchise (“excess”) € 1,500
- If younger than 23 years old: additional€ 1,000
- If between 23 to 26 years old: additional € 500
You cannot lower the excess (“franchise”). These amounts can be obtained by Baloise (Poppy’s insurance partner) directly from users. These “young driver” amounts are not covered by Poppy but directly by our insurer.
- NO animals in a Poppy
- NO comfy food session
- NO waste left in the car
- NO clothes left in the trunk
- NO cigarettes
- NO additional driver
Frequently asked questions and answers:
What should I do if I cannot book another car because the previous one has issues to be returned?
If such a situation happens, call the Poppy help desk directly on the toll-free number: 0800 626 12.
What should I do if there is an issue with returning the car?
If an issue stops you from returning the car, kindly call the Poppy help desk directly on the toll-free number 0800 626 12. You won't be charged for the extra time caused by the issue.
What if there's a parking fine from a previous user on the windshield?
When you arrive at your Poppy car and find a parking fine on the windshield, please put it in the glove compartment. We recommend you take a photo of every fine from the previous reservation that you find on the windshield and send it to Whim customer care via an in-app message. If you find a fine, you can still start your trip normally.
Can the car be driven abroad?
The car must not be driven abroad. You can drive anywhere in Belgium with a Poppy shared car, as long as you return it to the home zone after your trip.
What if the user gets a traffic fine (from a traffic camera)?
Users are responsible for all parking costs, fines or other costs (including costs for re-parking or towing) caused by improper parking of the vehicle outside the parking zone specified by Poppy. In addition to the incurred fee, Poppy charges the user an administration fee of €20. Administrative fines and parking fees are immediately paid by Poppy and charged to the driver involved. In the case of fines issued by the police or the judicial authorities, the driver involved will be notified by Poppy. He or she may expect an official police fine in the letterbox, along with the accompanying dispute form. You must pay those fines directly to the police.
Can someone else drive the car than the person who booked it?
Cars can only be driven by the Whim-account owner.
What if the car runs out of battery/fuel?
Users will have to pay the towing costs as invoiced by the towing company and the processing of towing charges: € 25. If a breakdown occurs during your trip, call the Poppy help desk on the toll-free number: 0800 626 12. (can be found on the windscreen of the car)
Is an additional driver allowed?
Never share your account. You may never share your account with anyone else. From the moment someone else drives with your account, that person is not insured, and he/she will have to pay for all costs in the event of damage or an accident. Your account will be suspended immediately if Poppy notices this.
How to refill/recharge? Where can I find the cable?